~~~~low flow....toilet problems

Gerber toilet ----------------------------
We have had a low flow toilet on our second floor for ten years.
Just recently it started acting up and has not been reliable since.
Our plumber has suggested that it is because the aging pipes in our old farmhouse are shifting away from their original vertical position in the walls.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Eddy

Does the bowl have a syphon? Have you cleaned it lately?
--
Free men own guns, slaves don\'t
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Just a thought. Old plumbing was designed for high flow toilets. Is it possible that long term low flows has allowed debris to settle, partially blocking the drain. It might be interesting to dump a couple 5 gallon buckets of water quickly down the toilet and see if that helps.
I can't think of any reason why old pipes would suddenly decide to shift position unless there was water damage or an earthquake or something.
Bob

Sounds good.

I can't imagine the pipes would be far from vertical unless the house was falling over.
5 or 10 degrees isn't going to matter, even if it could happen.

Think there was a post or two commenting that roots got into the drain then water leaks eroded the soil underneath allowing the drain to drop and cause subsequent problems. Had a plumber here recently for slow sink drain and he insisted on sending his new camera down the mainline for show & tell. Found a few small roots that we'll take care of with the semiannual Root Kill flush.

If I had a new camera like that, I'd want to send it down every drain I saw, and up every colon I came across.