Low Cold Water Washer Flow

My older model Kenmore clothes washer is acting up. When the setting is on "hot", and I pull the starting knob, water flows under normal pressure into the tub. But when the do the same thing, except that the setting is on "cold", the water flowing into the tub slows to a trickle. The resulting mix is that there is a disproportionate amount of hot water versus cold, so that if the setting is on "warm", the water is actually hot, and the clothes start to shrink.

I have checked the recently replaced hoses and there are no kinks. The problem appears to be in the cold water switching mechanism when I start the water flow at the outset.

I would appreciate any diagnostic opinions and recommended solutions.

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
Filipo

Take off the hoses. Then turn the water on and see if both hot and cold flow properly into a bucket. If no, check the valves. If yes, the problem is probably in the machine. Could be the water valve is not fully opening.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Then turn down the hot water until "warm" is warm.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Also: Most machines have a screen where the hoses connect. Check to make sure they are clean......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Thanks. The outside water flow to the bucket is strong. The inlet screen is clean. It seems the problem is the mixing valve with the solenoid switch attached to it, and to which the dual outside water hoses are connected. Does anyone know if this is a generic part that can be ordered from a local hardware or appliance shop, or from an online parts reseller? The Kenmore Model No. is 72891110. There is a blurry diagram on the Sears parts website and it is not clear which part is the valve. If someone can quote me a generic solenoid valve assembly that would fit this model, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks a lot.

Reply to
Filipo

Or, take it out, take it apart, and clean it. I did this once for one that wouldn't shut off all the way.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Are they still all blue plastic? Should be common as dirt at any appliance part/repair house. Johnstone or anyone listed for appliance parts in your yellow pages. Should be $10 buckish.

DanG

OK. I snaked my air compressor hose from the garage to the washer area and I blasted both hot and cold filter screens at the mouth of the dual inlet solenoid valve with compressed air. That seems to have cleared all the screen debris and the cold water flow is now back to normal, but then there seems to be a new problem - at the end of the wash cycle the water at the bottom of the tub does not drain completely. Is this an entirely new problem, or did I inadvertently damage the valve by blasting it with compressed air without removing the screens? Or is there a connection that may have come loose as a result of all these repair attempts? Thanks again for more help.

Reply to
Filipo