loud ... water flow

I have a 2-storey house. When the shower is turned on upstairs, the whole house vibrates, and the noise is mind boggling. When I turn off the water, I hear a "thump."
What could be the problem(s)?
Thanks.
Your water line needs a bumper instaled, a piece of pipe apx 12" long, an air break. At the shower controls, in the wall. Where your plumbing is conceald

Could be as simple as a bad diverter. Replacement is pretty easy and costs less than $10.
BB
trocs wrote:

Look for a loose washer either in the shower controls or maybe even in a shut off valve. Another possibility is a toilet ballcock causing a resonance. You can check that by closing the supply stops to the toilet(s).
Jim
Hi,
If it is only when the shower is running and not when the tub is filling then it has to be the diverter causing it. Replace it as another poster said and you will be fine.
candice