loud neighbour

This is Turtle.

Damn your high on the price. Here it is $20.00 ! You sure you don't have any Rock Stars around there.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

If OP owned the apartment, he could probably deal with the problem fairly effectivly with soundproofing. Since he doesn't, he can't. Trying to get the neighbor to change is a good idea only if you enjoy feuding, or are at least very good at it. That leaves moving to an apartment that isn't made of paper mache; getting a white-noise-generator and learning to live with it; or smuggling 5 kilos of coke into the guys rooms when he's not there, and calling the cops.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Take up the trumpet.

Reply to
glenn P

Just fry their equipment without entering their apartment.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for what you do with the information found via the link below; it is for educational purposes only!

Here ya' go!

~^Johnny^~

I don't think soundproofing would be an option for any tenant. You'd virtually have to call in the Jet Propulsion Labratory (JPL) to entirely shield you from most of these sound systems.

Fighting fire, with fire (Playing your system when you think they're asleep) taking up Drums, Bass Guitar, etc, generally doesn't work, and the tables may turn, and someone will drop a dime on you.

As I said, an anonymous "dime" dropped can sometimes work wonders. If you're confronted about dropping the dime, play dumb like Sgt. Shultz. Never admit it was you. Mark

Reply to
Mark D

Earplugs might be the most practical relief until you can move.

I think a nice product for apartment owners would be a device that shuts off the power to an apartment unit if the decibel level exceeds certain levels during certain times of the day for more than a few minutes.

Then, if the jerk want his power back on, he has to talk to the landlord to reset his power with a key. He'll have to explain what was going on.

This would also fix those lovely people who leave for the weekend and decide to leave their alam set.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

Most creative solution I ever saw to this problem. I had a nutty friend who somehow acquired an X-Ray machine. In his apartment, he was able to position it directly above the neighbors stereo. One Zap and the neighbor never knew what hit him. Every transistor in his stereo was burned out!

More likely in your case though. Good tenants are hard to find. If your landlord thinks you are a good tenant, he may take some action on your behalf. Otherwise leave and let him know exactly why you are going. When it's not your property, your options are limited...

Where I live, the kids play there stereos loud in the street. Neighbors call the cops. The cops come and talk to the kids. The stereos are turned down. When the cops leave, the kids turn up the stereos again.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Bouncing a BB or marble on a tile floor is *very* annoying in the room below. HTH ;-)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

That's a thought. If the apartment has a common fuse box or breaker box find out which one connects to the jerk's unit. Then pop his. Let him have a hard time figuring out what's wrong. Put glue into his door lock so that he can't get back in.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Usually it is the downstairs neighbor being driven crazy by heavy footfalls of the upstairs neighbor. You could try wearing dutch wooden shoes while at home or walking on your heels. Do you have a sport you can practice inside, how about step arobics.

Once he comes to complain to you, you have leversdge to work out a compromise.

If you are willing to bluff, try telling the landloard that you will break your lease and move out unless he can remidy the obnoxious neighbor or move you to a different unit.

Reply to
PipeDown

Almost right!

Tell your landlord you are canceling your lease, expect damages and a full refund of your deposit because you are unable to experience the quiet enjoyment of your residence.

In most areas if you word this correctly you will win. That is the reason I no longer have any multi-family buildings

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

You have choices:

I. Get your neighbor to act civilized A. Threaten neighbor with sanctions (eviction, etc.) 1. Often works 2. Cheap B. Tete-a-tete 1. Almost never works 2. Escalates into violence C. Appeasment 1. Payments 2. Gifts, such as earphones D. Overwhelming violence or other sanction, with no warning, at first infraction 1. Always works 2. Must be of sufficient intensity as to inhibit retaliation or reporting 3. Usually involves blood with bones sticking out, massive property damage, or lawyer-inducing litigation (such as restraining orders). Whatever the event, it must instill abject fear of worse to come.

II. Accomodate the uncivilized behavior, in this case: A. Soundproofing or other mitigation 1. Carpeting, false flooring, etc. 2. Landlord, after sufficient notice, should be billed for the renovation. B. Earplugs (my favorite)

III. Move. Be sure to notify your landlord that his inaction to fix a reported nusiance has resulted in a constructive eviction of you, a breaking of the lease.

Reply to
HeyBub

I had a problem with my neighbors' two dogs three years ago. The barking started at 5:30A and continued until they came home around 5P, then started up again when they went out to dinner.

I lived with it until they got a third dog, and it drove me crazy.

I went to their front door at 6:00a, ticked off, and in my robe. Surprise, they were not home.

Left a msg. on their answering machine, no return call. Called a second time - not home. Called him at work and for the first time, personally talked to him. His comments: "Oh really, I will be home to put them inside". One week later, repeat of barking. Called the cops. They knocked on his door - not home. Called him at work the next morning and he said, "Oh really, I will take care of it". Three weeks later - A "For Sale" sign appeared on their lawn. Hallelujah!

Don't move, just call the cops. I live in a small town, and wouldn't you know it, the cop was a relative of the dogs' owners.

I waited way too long, and you deserve peace and quiet.

Good luck!

Corinne

Mark D wrote:

Reply to