loud neighbour

Page 2 of 2
On 22 Nov 2005 11:41:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

That's a thought. If the apartment has a common fuse box or breaker box find out which one connects to the jerk's unit. Then pop his. Let him have a hard time figuring out what's wrong. Put glue into his door lock so that he can't get back in.
I had a problem with my neighbors' two dogs three years ago. The barking started at 5:30A and continued until they came home around 5P, then started up again when they went out to dinner.
I lived with it until they got a third dog, and it drove me crazy.
I went to their front door at 6:00a, ticked off, and in my robe. Surprise, they were not home.
Left a msg. on their answering machine, no return call. Called a second time - not home. Called him at work and for the first time, personally talked to him. His comments: "Oh really, I will be home to put them inside". One week later, repeat of barking. Called the cops. They knocked on his door - not home. Called him at work the next morning and he said, "Oh really, I will take care of it". Three weeks later - A "For Sale" sign appeared on their lawn. Hallelujah!
Don't move, just call the cops. I live in a small town, and wouldn't you know it, the cop was a relative of the dogs' owners.
I waited way too long, and you deserve peace and quiet.
Good luck!
Corinne
Mark D wrote:

david snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

First make sure it is really bad, yea it sounds like it, but some people have a poor tolerance for noise.
Check your lease, what, if anything does it say on this issue?
Get with your landlord. Are they willing to add soundproofing?
Go once, when you are in a good mood and talk with the resident.
Try the cops.
Move.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
david snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I would not approach him again about the noise. Once should do it if he cares. If you are fortunate, there is a noise ordinance the police can enforce. If there is any basis for a friendly conversation/relationship, seize it. He can make a lot of misery if he chooses. With bare wood floors in your apartment, you may make as much irritating noise as he does. Carpet with padding would probably help a great deal. I've read about condos that require carpeting for units above ground floor because of noise issues for those beneath bare wood or tile floors. We had an upstairs neighbor who had large speakers sitting on the floor, and we could hear her music above our TV - she was otherwise a very quiet and considerate person, so it wasn't a problem.
When neighbors start "one upping" each other, it only leads to problems. Easier to move.
I had a neighbor once, he would go out on a friday night and leave his stereo blast till 2-3am as his security system, he had 5 surrounding renters and never knew who was pulling his main fuse in the basement, it was fun. He is a jerk dont talk to him, let the police and lanlord a nasty note or no power do it for you. A couple nights of the power going out will do it. It will take him an hour to figure it out then he will know someone is pissed, but not who. Just dont get caught the second time he will run to the mains room.

Lots of choices . Talking did not work, never dose with low IQ people. Manager , dealing with a little higher IQ person, Go bang on his door when neighbor is making, keeps the problem fresh in his head. Spinning plates on the kitchen floor, now that's a irritating noise. This worked for me in our Condo got the message threw, Oh I left for the weekend and forgot to turn the loud stereo off with the speakers facing your side, oh I'm sorry. The memories of apartment life Well one more never fails Marry someone with a house never fails and I know.
Sacramento Dave wrote:

Bouncing a BB or marble on a tile floor is *very* annoying in the room below. HTH ;-)
Bob
On 21 Nov 2005 20:06:26 -0800, david snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

He probably sleeps late. See if you can figure out the best time for practicing your tap dance lessons that you just started taking...
Commodore Joe Redcloud
Next time you rent check out what the floor structure is made of. Wood floors and supports, don't rent. They are transparent to sound and also to fire. Insist on concrete, it has its problems but the mass helps reduce sound and fire passage.

Take up the trumpet.

Most creative solution I ever saw to this problem. I had a nutty friend who somehow acquired an X-Ray machine. In his apartment, he was able to position it directly above the neighbors stereo. One Zap and the neighbor never knew what hit him. Every transistor in his stereo was burned out!
More likely in your case though. Good tenants are hard to find. If your landlord thinks you are a good tenant, he may take some action on your behalf. Otherwise leave and let him know exactly why you are going. When it's not your property, your options are limited...
Where I live, the kids play there stereos loud in the street. Neighbors call the cops. The cops come and talk to the kids. The stereos are turned down. When the cops leave, the kids turn up the stereos again.
Beachcomber

Usually it is the downstairs neighbor being driven crazy by heavy footfalls of the upstairs neighbor. You could try wearing dutch wooden shoes while at home or walking on your heels. Do you have a sport you can practice inside, how about step arobics.
Once he comes to complain to you, you have leversdge to work out a compromise.
If you are willing to bluff, try telling the landloard that you will break your lease and move out unless he can remidy the obnoxious neighbor or move you to a different unit.

move
Almost right!
Tell your landlord you are canceling your lease, expect damages and a full refund of your deposit because you are unable to experience the quiet enjoyment of your residence.
In most areas if you word this correctly you will win. That is the reason I no longer have any multi-family buildings
Colbyt
david snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You have choices:
I. Get your neighbor to act civilized A. Threaten neighbor with sanctions (eviction, etc.) 1. Often works 2. Cheap B. Tete-a-tete 1. Almost never works 2. Escalates into violence C. Appeasment 1. Payments 2. Gifts, such as earphones D. Overwhelming violence or other sanction, with no warning, at first infraction 1. Always works 2. Must be of sufficient intensity as to inhibit retaliation or reporting 3. Usually involves blood with bones sticking out, massive property damage, or lawyer-inducing litigation (such as restraining orders). Whatever the event, it must instill abject fear of worse to come.
II. Accomodate the uncivilized behavior, in this case: A. Soundproofing or other mitigation 1. Carpeting, false flooring, etc. 2. Landlord, after sufficient notice, should be billed for the renovation. B. Earplugs (my favorite)
III. Move. Be sure to notify your landlord that his inaction to fix a reported nusiance has resulted in a constructive eviction of you, a breaking of the lease.