Loud Craftsman Rider Mower

Rear 10HP Tecumseh engine. I got it used. Always loud so I replaced the muffler with OEM part number.
I noticed one evening flames coming from the muffler. I took the bowl off the carburetor and determined that the float had a hole in it. Replaced the float. Engine still runs LOUD.
Any chance that the hot exhaust and gas combustion ruined the new muffler? Any chance that long running "ultra" rich engine caused damage to exhaust valve?
There is no "blow by" engine vibrates a little at idle but runs fine at mowing speed.
I've got another muffler on order. Any advise on best way to quiet down.
Thanks,
Jim
JimC wrote:

alot of people with loud lawnmowers think that is the cheap muffler that was installed when it was new.. but when they get old the valves go bad and that is the main reason why mowere sound loud.... probably the valves had it.....