Lost water after ice storm

We had an ice storm, and lost our electric for about 10 hours.{luckily) Some will be out for several days. My problem is when electric came back on, we had water for a few hours, but then nothing. I have a crawl space under house, went under to check around, thought maybe broken pipe or something. All was dry. But found a fuse box with cartridge fuses. Took them out and had them cheched at hardware store. 1 was good the other bad so bought 2 new ones and replaced. Now a low buzzing comes from box, lasts for about 5 seconds and stops. Does it about every minute or two. Thanks for your help

Reply to
helpmehelpme

I guess it would be good to know what those fuses operate. Do you have water now? Are you on a well? Could you have a sump pump that the fuse protected? Was it a 240V or 120V circuit?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Well, don't have much of anything to go on...what's the fuse box the fuse for would be at least one useful piece of information. Are you on municipal water or your own well? Is there a pressure pump?

Obviously if whatever is on the box blew a fuse, something caused it to happen. But, nothing in what you've provided even connects the box to the water supply -- it might be a sump pump that froze up and is trying to start.

I'd suggest cutting the power at this point at this time until you determine what it is to avoid possible damage to whatever it is and continue your investigation into root causes. In such a case with such massive power outages and all the associated problems, it's going to be hard to get service people in a timely manner, but probably ought to get on the list of someone -- who isn't for sure to tell you although plumber/well service would probably be the first guess depending on whether it is well or municipal water.

If it's still bitter cold, that it appears dry doesn't mean you still aren't frozen nor that there isn't a break somewhere--that will show up when it warms up (or you find the frozen place and thaw it out) if so.

Reply to
dpb

I used to have that every year, only in the upstairs , but dependably it would happen if the temperature dropped below 30 f. I cured it this year by insulating all the pipes between the buried pipes and the interior walls, best 4 hours we ever spent. I used commercial grade rubber insulation. Those don't have the split to install like the DIY stuff, but you can split it with a utility knife and lock it with electrical ties. We just had a good storm, with lows in the teens, and not a hick-up. We used to not have water in that part of the house till the first above 40 day.

Reply to
Eric in North TX