Loss of pressure from hot water heater.

Overnight there has been a noticeable loss of water pressure from the hot water heater. All faucets in the house are affected. There was not a gradual drop over several days. I believe the hot water heater is approxiately 5-6 years old. I was considering draining it to see if it was a sediment issue. I know it has not been drained in at least 4 years, which is how long we have been in our house. Will this help?
crt765 wrote:

Sediment wouldn't normally build up a pile so high as to block entry/exit. But worth a try as diagnostic.
See if the heater inlet/outlet connections are equipped with "heat traps". Shiney nipple, maybe 3-4" long. Looks exactly like a "dielectric" nipple but has a tiny ball check inside. http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/457271/954
Maybe a dip tube collapse, but that seems far-fetched.
Jim