Losing his vanity plate

I wonder if this is more serious that kicking a 6 year old out of senior housing in the other thread
http://www.kansas.com/news/story/1116664.html Sullivan is losing his tag because there is at least one Kansan who has held the SULLY tag longer than he has.
A new state law passed earlier this year is eliminating all duplicate vanity plates, starting in 2010.
"They have those little county designators up there, but at 70 miles an hour, you can't really tell which county a tag is from," said Carmen Alldritt, director of vehicles for the Department of Revenue. "Kansas is one of a handful of states that was allowing the capability of multiple registrations of the same vanity plate."
Alldritt said there are around 85,000 vanity tags in Kansas, with around 33,000 duplicates. Letters were sent to every vanity plate holder, informing them whether or not they will get to keep their tag.
Read more: http://www.kansas.com/news/story/1116664.html#ixzz0bF5QPuOo .

Seems as tho Kansas govt. is stupid to issue dups to begin with.

Vanity tags, as far as I know, always cost more - think here it is double regular tags. Governments are greedy to make a buck where ever they can.

Are they at least giving the people their exta vanity plate fees back?

Are they at least giving the people their exta vanity plate fees back?
I would imaging they lose the plates at renewal time so the only cost to the person will be whatever they might charge for new plates over just a renewal sticker for the old plates.
I agree that duplicates would be a nightmare for law enforcement and should be eliminated unless the county identifier was such that it clearly identified the difference. I.E. the county number was a prefix of the same size as the other numbers/letters on the plate, so "SULLY" would become something like "12-SULLY" for one county and "14-SULLY for another. Of course that would reduce the total number of characters a plate could have.
In this man's case, since it is in honor of his father, I'd add his dad's first and middle initials or something that retained the meaning to him.
Frank wrote:

Greed? Provide an optional product or service for a fee?
I just wish states offered MORE optional services. And that they made an obscene profit on each. I can imagine someone paying $50 extra for a license plate that glowed in the dark.
I bet there are some people who would pay $1000/year for immunity from overtime-at-a-meter parking tickets. Or the same amount for a life-time hunting or fishing license.
Mr.Spock wrote:

Actually weren't precisely duplicates as each has a County ID that makes them distinct.
That wasn't enough for somebody... :(
dpb wrote:

I'd have to wonder if you got caught speeding in NJ or PA or CT, if the police would know to include the county when writing a ticket. It is a state plate, not a county ID in most places. Seems like it was a dumb idea years ago.

To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I lost one of mine due to the new rule.