Los Angeles DWP Remote Reading Electric Meters

Hi all,

I don't know if this is new news, but it's new to me.

My place is old, and the electric meter's in the house... it's always been a pain come reading time.

Then a month or so ago, a friend was talking to his meter reader, and learned the DWP will install, for the asking a remote reading meter! (He got one, and it works great!)

I called them, and they gave me a little guff, saying those were reserved for customers who they hadn't been able to do a reading for over a year. But then she brough up my records, and noted it had been 4 cycles since they read it, and put me in an order for one then and there. Really not much trouble, but I guess it depends a little on who you get when you call.

A guy called this morning saying he'll be here next Wednesday to install it... says it's called a 'RF' meter, and will take 15 min tops to install.

I'll post an update if there are any problems with it.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Where have you been Erik?? I've had one of those installed at my house now for the last 14 years.

Funny part is, i didnt have to call anybody to have it put on. I think they got tired of being chased around the back yard by my pet crocodiles.

Reply to
go fish

I just got one, and frankly I trust it much more. The guy rides around in the truck and gets readings by RF. I think the older units could experience mechanical wear, magnentic failure. I trust microprocessors to just go bad!

Tim S.

Reply to
Tim or Marty Shephard

That's why you want me out there, to exercise your pets!

Reply to
HeatMan

In my part of Baltimore City (think rowhouses) all or most of the meters are indoors and the FR variety. BGE does a monthly drive by to get the meter readings. I did not have to ask for this, I think it's standard. And I lvoe having accurate utility bills every month (I am not sure if they do the drive by thing every month, but so far they have during the winter).

Reply to
Childfree Scott

I installed a microprocessor based system for LA county building 3 years ago. System has been up and running only problem we have had was that their network had problems with the amount of data that was being collected. I suggested that the polling times be changed and it has been hunky dory since then.

Check out the new lockboxes that realtors use. All wireless. Made by GE, really cool. Now when are they going to put on that bar code on my forehead?

Reply to
SQLit

I always said it was only a matter of time before the utilities would be doing drive-bys...

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Where we lived before - a semi rural area - the water company did it with a helicopter!

Reply to
avoidspam