loose red spanish roof tiles

1930s house in Los Angeles with original super-heavy spanish tiles and gobs of cement holding them in place - except where a couple have come loose.
What's a good solution for fixing a couple of loose ones?
I hope it's something a layman can do without major effort.
Thanks.
Josh

Don't the tiles have a hole and a hook arrangement to hold them on?

Yes, I can expect these few tiles can be fixed in LA by a layman.

You dont need cement, so I will guess work was done in the past by a hack. Ones ive worked on had nail holes and the tiles went on I believe 1x2" wood.
ransley wrote:

There are various ways to install Spanish style tiles. One way is what you said.
Another way - better, IMO - is to nail the first course then mortar the rest. Mortar holds them very nicely to 90# roofing that has been hot mopped on. The result is a roof with no nail penetrations (and no 1x2s to rot) that will last for decades.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
JRStern wrote:

It isn't cement, it is mortar. The tiles aren't likely to go anywhere - as you said, they are heavy - but you can lift the tile and add more/new mortar.
--

dadiOH

I guess some of the tiles are broken, where branches hit, or who knows why. Just go to the home improvement megastore and look for generic "mortar"? Sounds about right for my skill level.
Thanks.
J.
JRStern wrote:

Type "S" mortar if they have it, whatever if not. Keyword is "mortar"...it is used for sticking stuff to other stuff.
--

dadiOH