Loose kitchen faucet

Page 2 of 2
On Sunday, November 16, 2014 2:41:38 PM UTC-8, trader_4 wrote:

A 'basin wrench' deals with those large nuts quite easily.
Harry K
trader_4;3309385 Wrote: >

No, my sister's has a steel bracket that goes across a hole about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and a small stainless steel nut (about a 9/16 inch nut IIRC) that clamps the bracket onto the counter top or sink.
That's because a smaller nut can be tightened with a socket wrench and enough extension bars to reach the nut, but a large nut would require using something like channel lock pliers in confined space of poor accessibility where using such a tool would be difficult. It's simply easier to install the faucet with a bracket and small nut.
--
nestork

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 7:17:13 PM UTC-8, nestork wrote:

Two words "basin wrench"
Harry K
Harry K;3309703 Wrote: >

Harry: Two words: "Don't talk."
You can't use a basin wrench to tighten the 9/16" nut on my sister's faucet because the copper water supply pipes are in the way. You can't even get a basin wrench onto that nut.
You have to use a socket (with extensions). That's about the only practical way to do it. You don't even have room to turn a small box end wrench between the sink and the wall behind the sink.
--
nestork

On Monday, November 17, 2014 2:17:13 PM UTC-8, nestork wrote:

I already mentioned that one won't work on small nuts. My last post was in reply to a "big nut" problem.
Harry K
After all these posts is Steve, the OP, still paying attention? By now the job is either finished or he has decided to call a plumber.