Loose Fence Post

I have 1 loose post in a 50' run of fence. Construction is typical for around here: 4x4 PT posts every 8', 2x4 PT rails, 1x6 PT boards alternating from side to side, PT lattice panels on top. The loose post moves the two adjacent panels when it wobbles, but the fence is solid once you pass the next post on either side. Fence is about 10 years old.
There are plantings/shrubs/trees near the fenceline, and probably not easy to get machinery (ie bobcat) up close.
Is there a alternative to extracting & replacing the post? I thought about siamesing some sort of support, but not sure what would be effective w/o being too difficult to install.
TIA, Chris
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:30:52 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

either side of pole.
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:30:52 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Machinery? For a single fencepost? Get away from your keyboard for 30 minutes and fix the damn thing.

Can't tell from here. if the post is in a swamp it can't be tightened. if it is broken at ground level the quick and dirty way would be to drive a T-post next to it and screw them together. If the whole is just enlarged then some PT wedges like someone else mentioned will do it. [or a couple flat rocks driven in with a sledge]
Jim

Basic Quantum Home Repair Theory tells us that there is no task that can be completed in 30 minutes. The set-up and clean-up quarks consume 15 minutes each on their own. ;-)

Not a swamp, just your basic heavy clay soil, complete with rocks and roots.
Might be able to swing a sledge between the honeysuckle bush and the post. Looks like the wedges will be the first attempt. Any thoughts on how long to make them? Below frost line?
Chris
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 07:54:29 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

2 foot long 2x4 wedge cut on bandsaw should do OK if existing post is not broken.
Just had the same problem with my fence. Turned out after 25 years one of the PT posts had rotted off about 6 inches below grade. I think it split over the years allowing water to get in deep where there PT wasn't as good.
I had a rose bush on my side of the fence so had to do most of the digging to replace it from the neighbor's side but was finally able to get the stump out and slide a new post in. The posts weren't in concrete, just buried about 24 inches in the ground. Fence has held up well over the years other than this instance.