loose electrical oulets

Page 2 of 2
Replacement sockets aren't all that expensive. The odds are very slight, that you'll get your landlord to replace them. You may be able to find someone who is skilled with electric to replace them for you.
From your return adress, are you in the Rochester, NY area? Nice small city with a black mayor, a fast ferry that goes no where, and a rapidly shrinking Kodak. I know. I'm in the Rochester NY area.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Depends on the landlord. The new sockets should be 3-hole, too. I was ready to start changing sockets in my old home when I realized with a shock (heh heh) that the existing boxes were 2-wire and the metal boxes were NOT grounded. That project is still limping along. It's tricky working behind wallboard.

I'm in Henrietta. The Rochester mayor is a white guy these days, Mayor Duffy. I think he sold the ferry. Rochester also has a rapidly shrinking Xerox. But the many "small" companies in the surrounding areas are growing, in the Victor and Honeoye Falls areas for example.
On Jan 24, 9:28�pm, "Stormin Mormon"

the loose connection is a definite fire hazard, your landlord should replace bthe worn out outlets.........
the loose connection is a definite fire hazard, your landlord should replace bthe worn out outlets.........
I will talk to him. Thanks for the advise...everyone.

Yup, Irondequoit. Moved here in November. Lucky for me, the cold doesn't bother me like most folks.
I was pretty excited about the ferry when I moved here but found out they stopped it and not for the season.
I guess the Rust Belt is still in the process of re-inventing itself.
bonnie
There's a couple real hardware in the area. I've been to Blacks a couple times. Been a while, but when I was there, they seem like great people. Debbie's Supply in East Rochester (village of ER) is good. The True Value on Dewey Ave closed, but the one on Lyell still has good people.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Thanks for the store tips.
I spoke with my landlord today. He's going to come over soon, check them out and replace what needs to be replaced.
Thanks for everyone's advise.
bonnie
Bonnie Jean wrote:

One other option: You can get a 6-outlet adaptor that plugs into a dual outlet. You remove the existing faceplate, plug in the outlet multiplier, and afix the new outlet with the screw that formerly held the outlet's faceplate.
Here's an example: http://www.shopgetorganized.com/prodetail~itemNo~27579.asp
Here's another: http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com /(isw3ombvfghlzgmuqhwvidbw)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU069390

Won't do any good if the connection where the "six way" plugs into the old outlet is bad. All it will do is burn it out.
NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Oh I get it! You plug something into a loose outlet and then screw it in place so it doesn't fall out. Don't worry about vibration or movement of the device's prongs sitting in the loose outlet...as long as it doesn't fall out, it's OK.
And look! I can now plug six things into a loose outlet while before I could only do two.
What a great idea!
Not!
DerbyDad03 wrote:

The original problem was having to bend prongs to keep the plugs from falling out. With my plan, you only have to bend the prongs once (on the adapter). Problem solved.

I disagree. If the receptacles are old and worn, I think you are just delaying a problem and possibly masking other issues.
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com /(isw3ombvfghlzgmuqhwvidbw)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU069390

Doesn't really reduce the fire hazard much. Only removes the constant flexing from cords getting tugged, or removed/inserted. The crappy connection between the duplex and six-way (usually just 2 3-ways in same shell) is still there, and now it can overheat without being extremely obvious in seconds. I've smoked a six-way before.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Mitigation of a fire hazard was not part of the original question. The only issue was how to keep the plugs from falling out of the sockets without bending them.
Besides, it's a rental.

The fact it is a rental does not reduce the chances of loosing everything you own, and your life, in a preventable fire.
On Jan 26, 10:26�pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

plus the landlord could say fire was tenants fault for not reporting the problem.
loose plugs overheat thats never good plus wastes energy
HeyBub wrote:

The house is irrelevant. The people sleeping in it, on the other hand...
-- aem sends...
I knew some kids in high school who would have smoked a six way. Me, well, that was never any interest to me.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus