Loose ceiling tiles?

I have a room with a ceiling that's covered with the traditional 12-inch square interlocking fiber tiles. Some of them are coming loose from the nailing strips and they're starting to sag. I thought of making small holes at the intersections of the tiles and injecting liquid construction adhesive with a caulking gun. Then I realized this probably won't work because there is a poly-plastic vapor barrier sheet between the tiles and the wood nailing strips. I think this plastic would prevent good adhesion. I'd appreciate some suggestions for this problem. I really don't want to tear the ceiling down and start over. Do they make special staples or other fasteners for this?
Thanks
DIYguy wrote:

Many rooms in my house had the same stuff. I've removed much of it, with a few more to go. Another reason to do so: I sliced up the removed tiles and fed them to woodstove- they burn GREAT!
Besides, my insurance company is encouraging me to get them gone.
And ... the 1x strips burn almost as well :')
I have the same in my basement and HATE them. I don't have the desire to rip them all out, but I have also stopped fixing any that I have to tear out.
Just put a drywall screw through into the furring strip. Drill it below the surface and put some spackle over the screw head. Don't worry about smoothing it as it will look like the tile surface if it is rough. You can paint the entire ceiling if you are worried about color differences.
On 17 Nov 2006 09:08:46 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote:

WHATTTT???!!! Aren't they asbestos??? Who was breathing the smoke from this fire??!!!

<aspasia> wrote in message wrote:

Don Young
aspasia wrote:

burn. They are mostly wood fiber or other vegetable fiber held together by a small amount of glue.
Hi! I'm new here. I just read what you wrote about the ceiling tiles not burning. I have broken ceiling tiles in my basement (unfortunate incident with a heavy bag stand!). Anyway, now I am concerned that they have asbestos. I found a box under the staircase that says the tiles are Armstrong Cushiontone. I took a piece outside to see if it would burn. It didn't burst into flame, but it burned and charred. Should I be concerned? Thanks!!!