looking to use an old manual drill fwith sockets

Page 1 of 2

I have an old handcrank drill (see link for similiar style)
http://ecoble.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/hand-crank-dril-by-dana-via-flickr1.jpg
I was thinking of trying to use it with some socket wrenchs. I'm not sure what this type of drill is called. I've always called it an auger drill, but I don't know the exact name. It has two teeth which grabs the drill bits. I was wondering if someone makes an adapter that would securely fit this drill that has a 3/8" square end for deep sockets
I know this is odd, but I sometimes work out on a farm putting in lag bolts on fences. My cordless drills seem to die at the worst time. Utilizing this type of setup would help in a pinch.
Robin
Add pictures here
✖

It's called a "brace", as in "brace and bit".

Why not just use a 3/8" ratchet wrench? Use the drill to make a pilot hole. You do drill pilot holes?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 17, 8:50 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The bits for a brace and bit set were mostly made for drilling holes in wood. The bits had rectangular tapered ends to fit into the brace. My father had one that dated back to the 1930's, don't know what happened to it.
Add pictures here
✖

The bits for a brace and bit set were mostly made for drilling holes in wood. The bits had rectangular tapered ends to fit into the brace. My father had one that dated back to the 1930's, don't know what happened to it.
I've still got one. The handiest bit that I have for it is adjustable. I can make holes that are of non-standard sizes. An advantage of this is the ability to make hole for a dowel etc. that is a snug fit for the piece.
Charlie
Add pictures here
✖
I've seen drive handles for sockets. Drive handle which is set up in the same design as a bit brace.
Otherwise, you could take a socket extension stick. Saw off the square hole. And use your bench grinder to make the end square.
Or, you could use a piece of 3/8 square stock.
I've not seen an extension made, commercially.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

http://ecoble.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/hand-crank-dril-by-dana-via-flickr1.jpg
Tke a 3/8th extension. Cut it short as needed. Insert in ( two teeth) Tack weld. Most farmers have a welder to do this. WW
Add pictures here
✖

The two teeth are notched, right? That's to hold the corners of a square bit.

I"m not positive what the drive shaft for a 3/8" socket is (3/8"?) but you could use a solid piece of hardened stock like that. Might be hard to get at a mere hardware or tool store precisely because it's not an quite an adapter.
I don't really like the idea of devoting your brace to this one use**, and only partly because I think you could do this job better with a set of 3/8 or 1/2" socket wrenches, or at least the ratchet or crossover bar, the socket that fits, and possibly a 4" extension..
**It's rusty but you could clean it up like new with a wire wheel on a bench grinder and some kind of lubricant if necesarr in the three places that might need it.
I'll bet it's 10 inches or more from the handle at one end of the brace to the other end, plus the length of the "adapter". For some reason I don't understand, but it's related to leverage somehow, I find better results with a socket wrench when I use either a short 4" extension or no extension. I keep the palm of one hand on the the ratchet where it meets the socket or extension, and crank with the other hand. After having my good tools stolen out of my car a couple times, I switched to almost all cheap tools, like 6 or 8 dollars for a 22 piece set (about 10 or 15 years ago) so sometimes I think I"m going to break the 3/8" ratchet, and then I switch to a cross-over bar, which comes in some ratchet sets, and can be bought separately. But if you're on a ranch where the only thieves are the birds, I'd consider a little more expensive set.
(I did break one ratchet, but only one, over the years, and I broke a 6" extension once. I turned the ratchet very hard, and the top of the extension rotated while the bottom stayed where it was. There was a thin line but not apparent break in the chrome where one part rotated and the other part didn't!)

Add pictures here
✖

[...]

It's not odd at all. It's a perfect application. Here's a brace (that's the name of the tool) with interchangeable chucks, and it'll take sockets. http://www.garrettwade.com/product.asp?pn=47B01.01&bhcd2=1279428677
They do make 3/8" socket drive adapters, but I'll leave that search to you. They're cheap enough - figure ten or fifteen bucks max.
✖

A rachet has more extension and torque than a hand drill I have one and by how far the handle is spaced I dont think you will get much torque from a hand drill, is a vehicle nearby, a 12v charge adaptor would be easier to charge up, or an inverter and 120v drill impact driver is best, or a rachet would be quicker, and longer lasting since it is designed for the job. Quickest would be a 18-24v Liion impact driver, Popular Mechanics magazine just did a review of 9 of them for bolts its the tool of choise, or if you have a vehicle a gas compressor and air impact driver, the bolts will fly in place with any impact driver.
Add pictures here
✖
I've got a couple 12 volt drills from Harbor Freight. Figure that when they die, I'll take em apart. Wire to a lamp cord and lighter socket plug. That way I can power them off a battery jumper pack. Not as convenient, but it's portable (somewhat) and turns drills or screws.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's what I was thinking.
Add pictures here
✖

A cheap/spare 3/8th socket extension, gound square (or with some flats on it) for the brace chuck to grip onto?
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks everyone for the posts. I now know its called a Brace. After googling it, I found that Le Valley has what I'm looking for (see link below, item "D"). http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?c=&p=32300&cat=1,180,42337&ap=1
Robin
Add pictures here
✖
On 07/18/2010 10:26 AM, rlz wrote:

called a "speed wrench" if it has a square drive for sockets on it.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
rlz wrote: ...

I have been reworking the feedlot corrals other the last couple of years which also have a tremendous number of lag bolts for both hinge mounting and rails (they were built w/ roughsawn full-dimension 2x10-16 or -20 SYP on ties in the late 50s/early 60s).
I keep two Milwaukee red drills, one for pilot (ties) and one for shank (rails) but as others noted, the tool for driving the lags themselves is ratchet. One can use it (except for very few locations) in 360-rotation until nearly driven before needing the ratchet-action. The stroke of a brace and bit simply isn't enough torque (unless you're talking toy-sized stuff imo). The batteries last a morning or afternoon of continuous work at the rate can work by myself so one set of spares is all that's needed for a day.
OBTW, after drilling and before driving, keep an oil can w/ a long, straight spout of used motor oil and squirt a couple shots down the pilot hole and on the lag before driving--makes all the difference in the world in driving them.
✖

Liquid "soap" works too.
Add pictures here
✖

Far too much trouble/expense compared to "free" used oil...
✖

I didn't mean for that application. Used motor oil gets a bit messy around the house. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
I agree. Lube sure makes the threads slide in easier. When I'm threading long screws into wood, I use some vaseline which I store in a cow teat syringe. Really!
I bet liquid soap is more eco friendly. Does an environmentalist say moo?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus