Looking for truly small medicine cabinet

Page 1 of 2
By small I mean about 12" wide by 16" high. Like this one, but recessed: http://www.croydex.com/products/380-avon-single-door-small-cabinet.aspx
The problem with searching on small is the cabinet sellers have a different idea in what is small. They consider ones that are 20-22" wide to be small. I grew up thinking that 14" wide -- to fit between studs -- was the standard size and small means smaller than that. But apparently they have grown quite a bit over the years.
Is anyone aware of a truly small recessed one? The only alternatives I have are: (1) Skip the medicine cabinet and simply mount a mirror on the wall, or (2) Have a wooden one custom made.
On 5/27/2013 4:41 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

is that it isn't a worthwhile search phrase at all.
Searching on "14 wide medicine cabinet" found zillions...

I know zillions exist. The problem is 14" wide is too wide.
On 5/27/2013 4:59 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

For a stud bay???? 16" OC - 1-1/2" --> 14-1/2" RO
Should be just what the cat needed...

On 5/27/2013 5:29 PM, dpb wrote:

But a search for "12 wide medicine cabinet" found a few less than zillions...but still several if that's what you really need.
Looks like most popular are 36" tall but Lowes has one from somebody called Nameek that's 18"
Nameeks 11-7/8-in W Recessed Medicine Cabinet
Item #: 432297 | Model #: GEDY 8007-02
Collection Name     Lilliput Total Width (Inches)     11.8 Total Height (Inches)     17.7 Depth (Inches) 5.6 Finish Type      White Manufacturer Color Name White Color/Finish Family White Interior Color     Matches exterior Cabinet Material     Plastic Adjustable Shelving     No Shelf Material Plastic Door Type Single with mirror Beveled Mirror      No Lights      No Number Bulbs Required     0.0 Bulbs Included      No Decorative Hardware Included     No Mounting Hardware Included     Yes ...

Nice little cabinet, except it is a surface mount according to the manufacturer's page: http://www.nameeks.com/product/Medicine-Cabinet/Gedy-8007-02.html
The sink only projects 8 3/4" and I don't want a protruding cabinet looming over the sink.
I think what I want does not exist. Obviously I'm not going to be fitting it between studs, which aren't going to be spaced exactly where the sink will be. I would have to build a frame in the wall.
I think I'll give up and simply mount a mirror. This is a tiny powder room and I don't need to store condoms, cups, aspirin, anti-acid, tampons, etc.
Don,
Look at the picture, then look at the dimensions. That cabinet is not sticking out 5.6". It must be recessed.
Dave M.
On 5/27/2013 5:53 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

What's to keep from making the bay where it needs be?
The info at Lowe's where found it indicates it's recessed albeit the other page doesn't. Doesn't look like it would take anything but a drill and few white-head cabinet-mounting screws to make it recessed, though.
Can't believe a more exhaustive search wouldn't find quite a few others.

Nothing.

The Croydex that I started the thread with also has incorrect information at the Wayfair site claiming it is recessed.

True. But that, and the Croydex, don't have the mirror or a lip protruding past the box. So one would have to have a very clean edge around the hole.

I have looked. As I wrote above, because it wouldn't fit between studs the manufacturers assume that there is no market for such a product.

oming

ing

nk

room

etc.

.

I don't understand why any surface mount cabinet cannot be recessed. All you have to do is drill some holes on the sides and then shim the opening to center the cabinet in the space between whatever stud widths you have. I've done it a few times and no big problem if you can drill 4 holes and measure to the nearest 1/16". A few pieces of 1/4 round around the opening will cover any mistakes you make in measuring<g>. Done that also.

Okay. I'll see if the architect goes along.
While this thread was developing I've been looking at lights for the room. All I need is something over the mirror. I'm into minimalism. I like this one:
http://www.lightingdirect.com/alico-lighting-bv9032-10-contemporary-modern-2-light-wall-sconce-from-the-orbit-collection/p1472371
Though this would go better with the fixtures, which have cylindrical shapes:
http://www.lightingdirect.com/moen-dn0762-12-95-wide-2-light-bathroom-fixture-from-the-iso-collection/p1748179
On 5/27/2013 9:22 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

Precisely. +1

Goes along???? Who's working for whom, here????
On 5/28/2013 9:19 AM, dpb wrote:

Oh, I'd add that depending on how it's built and what it's made of, it may be necessary to add a cleat or "shelf" for it to set on and then the side screws are only for rigidity. I think it's desirable to do so whether mandatory or not...
As Mr Hofmann says he's done it, we did this quite a lot in the old retrofits/refurbs did in Lynchburg of old Federals that had no such amenities originally at all in them. Most had been sorely abused as apartments or college student rental rooms for many years before we got them, unfortunately.
Generally if tiled or other wall treatments it's pretty trivial to dress them up. If it is just sheetrock and painted or such, w/ good craftsmanship and a straight edge all it takes for invisible is a small caulk bead and a steady hand w/ the paint brush.
If necessary, as stated, a moulding can be used or can be made a feature.

te:

Thanks for reinforcing my comments, this seems so trivial a thing to do.
On 5/28/2013 11:53 AM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote: ...

No problem--seems that way to me, too.
The last point to add for OP is that the only kicker at all is that it has to have enough setout for the back edge of the door to clear the _finished_ wall surface--don't set it flush to a wall forgetting there's tile to come or somesuch (DAMHIK[toremindof]T, BTW. :) )
That means that do want to avoid a cabinet w/ a very large door size viz z viz the cabinet so there's a lot of overhang (say in order to have a larger mirror than would be normal given the cabinet size would be obvious cause for the issue)

On 5/27/2013 5:41 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

Don Wiss my ass ;)
On 5/27/13 5:41 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

HD has one that 12 wide , but is 36 high. Would that work ??
http://www.homedepot.com/p/NuTone-Pillar-12-in-Recessed-Medicine-Cabinet-in-Basic-White-735M34WHG/202875192#.UaPetevrkfo

I saw those. Absolutely not.
Don Wiss wrote:

You must live alone. A wife would fill that up with all her stuff, leaving you a small portion down in the corner for a few things of yours. damhik.:-)
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

This is for a tiny powder room on the parlor floor. About 25" x 45". The ceiling is very high though.
The main reason to have it at all is home buyers expect a bathroom on every floor. And some day the house will be sold.
And we have already discussed what I could put in it for party guests or workmen. But none are essential.