looking for tips on Teak repair/finish

I have a teak rifle stock that is soaked in oil and grease Does anyone know a good way to bring back the beauty to the wood without damaging it. tks dp

Reply to
Dan Parrell

What makes you think it is teak , unless it is Japanese, Chinese. Teak boat decks are cleaned with a mild acid and oiled, teak trim is sanded and varnished. I would degrease it with alcohol and thinner then sand and oil or varnish. If it is an antique leave it alone till a pro looks at it. Walnut or Birch are common US gunstocks, never Teak.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Dan Parrell

You may greatly affect any value it has by doing anything at all to it. In the world of antique furniture, you can turn $100,000 into $10,000 with an hour of cleaning effort.

That said, you can find lots of products specifically for cleaning and brightening teak at any marine supply store.

Reply to
Mys Terry

If it is antique don`t touch it till an antique gun dealer tells you what and how to do it, removing old patina usualy ruins antique values. Values can be cut 10-90% by improper restoring and cleaning of any part of the gun. Teak is not native to Russia.

Reply to
m Ransley

Be care full, I cracked the stock on my 1873 Spencer by over oiling it, and lowered its value 1000$ by cleaning the metal. Yes innocent cleaning often ruins antique values.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Dan Parrell