Looking for thermostat to operate at near 32F - 0C

Looking for a thermostat to control a small heater in a cold room

I have electricity and nothing else So the heater will be electric Need thermostat that will turn on at and below 32F, off above that

The objective is to keep the room hovering just above freezing, about

32F-34F

Warmer is not a problem. Colder is.

Does anyone know of an off-the shelf plug-in thermostat that can be set for that range ?

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Looking for a thermostat to control a small heater in a cold room

I have electricity and nothing else So the heater will be electric Need thermostat that will turn on at and below 32F, off above that

The objective is to keep the room hovering just above freezing, about

32F-34F

Warmer is not a problem. Colder is.

Does anyone know of an off-the shelf plug-in thermostat that can be set for that range ?

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Hi, Send an email to Honeywell tech support.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Never saw one. Most have a minimum of 40. I maintain a large building that is mostly unoccupied but has water for sprinklers and bathrooms and use 40 to 45 as the minimum. That gives me a little margin if the heating systems fail.

Remember, their is also some stratification and cold spots along the wall and windows. There can be some variance side to side depending on solar load, air circulation, etc. If freezing is a danger, you want more than 34 degrees at the thermostat.

Depending on how often the room is checked and what happens below freezing, you may want to kick up the temperature to give even more time, say 12 to 24 hours of no heat before there is damage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Well, let's see. You want it to maintain a temp just above freezing. That's not a temp range for a house, but it is for a refrigerator. I'd look on Ebay for "refrigerator thermostat". I'm sure you'll find a variety of form factors.

Aside from that, if the goal is to keep things from freezing, I'd go with at least 37F. There can be considerable variation in temps in a room.

Reply to
trader4

Look for garage or low temperature thermostats.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Thanks I'll do that.

Reply to
Attila Iskander

This is a semi-underground uninsulated concrete "bunker" under a 3 season porch. It's primary intent is tornado shelter, but it serves as a cold storage room for freezer, spare fridge, and other food items. Temperature never goes above 40F in summer, even with freezer and fridge in it.

Because in winter, temperatures can fall way below freezing outside, the temperature inside follows along.

The intent is to block it from going below freezing. so that stuff like spare milk and canned/preserved foods don't freeze.

Reply to
Attila Iskander

# # Well, let's see. You want it to maintain a temp just above # freezing. That's not a temp range for a house, but it is # for a refrigerator. I'd look on Ebay for "refrigerator thermostat". # I'm sure you'll find a variety of form factors.

Nope It's an uninsulated, unheated concrete "bunker" under a 3-season porch, that is intended as a tornado shelter, but serves mostly as a storage room. In winter, because it's partically exposed above ground level, the temperature drops to nearly the same temperature as outside.

And yes, the idea is to keep it just above freezing, with minimal outlay of energy And no, it's not going to be insulated real soon.

# Aside from that, if the goal is to keep things from freezing, # I'd go with at least 37F. There can be considerable variation # in temps in a room.

And ? Do you have a suggestion ?

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Then you need to make it come on *before* 32F. how much before depends on the difference between the heat loss of the room and the BTU/h of the heater.

You might get away with a light bulb or two left on. That's what we used in an uninsulated well house and it survived 10 below zero with a

100 watt bulb.

You might have to cob it to 'plug it in' - but there are line voltage thermostats that do 40F for $25-30.

Hmm-- Here's a greenhouse therm- 30F-110F - $50- plug in.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Tried that, but I would like to reduce wasted electricity as much as possible, so I want to produce as much heat as possible for the current used. Electricity is getting pretty expensive where I am. And it's bound to get higher as more coal power plants shut down

Wow Thermostatic outlet for either heating or cooling

That seems to fit the bill even though the upper range is higher than I would like

I'll keep this as a fall back, if I can't find something that doesn't go that high

Thanks

Reply to
Attila Iskander

If you start with a heater with a bi-metallic thermostat, you might be able to bend/twist/tweak the thing to move the range down. Might be as simple as grinding the stop off the knob or shaft.

Reply to
mike

Actually found one. I was looking through my memory. Digital controllers start at $50 and go up in price. Many have relay outputs or fairly heavy loads. in searching Internet found a kit. Don't know what op can do. The other thermostat will require ac transformer and suitable relay. Complete systems usually would cost. Here are the two I found.

No specs I found.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It just dawned on me that livestock buildings might use something like the OP wants. One here:

one
almost installs itself.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It just dawned on me that livestock buildings might use something like the OP wants. One here:

one
almost installs itself.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Feel like I'm back at work. Ok, found a no brainer.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It just dawned on me that livestock buildings might use something like the OP wants. One here:

one
almost installs itself.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Most household thermostats I've seen go down to 40-45°F which I suppose is warm enough to keep a whole dwelling above freezing. My digital goes down to 45°F. Here's a link to a digital thermostat of the type I use on walk in coolers for food service and it has a very flexible set-point which makes it very useful for many applications. The type by different manufacturers is available at any refrigeration/HVAC or any industrial supplier. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Or as simple as using a bi-metal/murcury thermostat and rebend the bi-metal. You may need to adjust the level of the thermostat mounting to compensate somewhat. Run the thermostat on the control side of a contactor with 24 volt winding, using a 24 volt transformer.

Reply to
clare

You beat me to it, They sell them at feed stores in places where they have cold weather.

Reply to
gfretwell