looking for suggestions for vacuum cleaner

I've been borrowing a friends Dirt devil and really should get my own vac, any suggestions?

I have an electrolux upright going on 20 yrs old and still works perfectly. You get what you pay for.

Stay away from the bag less type. Especially if you live in an apartment and do not have easy access to the outdoors. In the bag less variety you release some dust when you empty the canister. You must also clean the filter which releases even more. It is best to do this maintenance outside.
It is easy to be duped into paying way to much for a deluxe vacuum. There are plenty of them out there. Why not settle for a much cheaper mainstream vacuum that works almost as good as the deluxe impress your neighbor variety. When the cheaper one gives up, buy another.
Look at the reviews on www.epinions.com

Postponement! Buy one when the friend's unit wears out.
Oren --
Best answer I've heard in a long, long time.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Tater wrote:

Check the newest issue of Consumer Reports, March, 2008. Their highest-rated upright is a Sears Kenmore Progressive Direct Drive, #35922 or 35923, $300, but in 6th place (out of 307 uprights tested) is a Hoover Tempo Widepath U514-900, only $60 (Amazon says $67). It was slightly noisier and cleaned bare floors slightly worse. The highest-rated Dirt Devli placed #26.

I own this Sears model and a Dysan. The Dysan is way better in everything except stairs. Consumer Reports is as usual full of crap. As for dust. There is none. There is no filter to clean, but emptying it inside is not recommended. I take ours to the outside garbage, and just pull the trigger to empty it. I'd never trade it for a bag vacuum. BTW the bags for that Sears vacuum are 5 dollars a pop, and last about 1-2 weeks of vacuuming and changing the bag is 100 times as messy as emptying the bag less Dysan.
snip

How can that be? You said it is recommended to empty the Dyson outside. Try emptying it inside and see if you'd still say the bagless is less messy.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote on 07 Feb 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

I have a Dyson, and I'll second his evaluation.
In my experience, the bag is usually fairly fragile by the time it's full, and manhandling it off the filler pipe always spews some dust in the air. You can't help squeezing the bag at least a little. Heaven help you if you rip it.
The Dyson (the only bagless I've ever used) just dumps straight into a container. I wrap a plastic grocery sack around the bottom, then push the release button.
Dust can be released by both of them, but the bagless lets me keep my hands clean. I would never empty either type inside the house.
By the way, I bought the Dyson after it got very good reviews in Consumer Reports. It's a big improvement over my previous, bagged vacuum, but I can't say it's the best out there. I *am* disappointed in the stairway attachment. The brushes are turned by the air flowing in the hose, and they just don't work well.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
On Feb 7, 6:51 pm, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I have and it is.
I believe Consumer Reports recently reported on their findings. You can usually find copies of their reports at your local library.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

What size? How big?
I bought this for a small apartment and have been happy so far
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_idd86841

Come on guys...
It doesn't matter what you buy...they all suck.
I'm so, so sorry. I've been sick all week. I have failed you. I shoulda wrote that.
More seriously, I bought an upright Hoover in a garage sale, ten years ago. Takes A-bags, they fill from the top. The vac is nice and heavy. Works rather well, also.
I advise against any vac that takes bottom fill bags. Yes, stupidly enough, they do make em. I also don't like the ones where the top fill tube is part of the bag. Make a plastic tube, already.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have a Bosch that wasn't terribly expensive for something significantly better than department store stuff. Has a hepa filter, which I like. The attachments seemed kind of lightweight compared to the ones with my old Kenmore, but they haven't proven to be fragile. The think I like most about this machine is that it is Q-U-I-E-T. I hate the noise that vacuum cleaners make. This one I don't mind at all. you can talk over it without raising your voice. I think I paid about $300-350 for it. I almost bought it online, but checked with a local mom & pop store, where it was the same price or lower than all the websites, but included a supply of bags and a few other extras that were not included in online deals. That meant if I had a problem I wan't going o have the hassle and expense of shipping it back, either. They have several canister vacs that look very similar but have different levels of sophistication and features. They are different colors. I bought the BLUE one. I'd buy the exact same one again if I needed a replacement.