Looking for recommended site that is honest

My sister says she needs a special air filter for her Trane furnace/air conditioner. (that's all the info I got from her).
The technician came out to measure for a filter today and said it would cost $700. She needs extra filtering due to asthma and lots of dust in her house.
I'm hoping there is a good site where the cost is a little lower and you know they are a good honest site? Thanks. Marina
Marina wrote:

I've used http://www.iaqsource.com/ before with good results. I saved a bunch of money buying new filters for my Space Gard system. You'll need to make sure you match up your part numbers and everything properly because you might end up wasting money if you buy the wrong thing.
-Nathan
Look into Trion Air Bear, April Air Spaceguard are good media but the enclosure does not seal well and replacement filters are alot more. 700$ sounds like a dual filter, UV and media or similar, or a rip off.

Why might? I would say that you WILL end up wasting money if you buy the wrong thing.
If you're willing to do the work yourself, you probably can cut that cost in half. They quoted me $300 for a filter and housing and said if I brought in the boot (the bottom of the cold air return connecting to the furnace) they'd make me one to fit the filter for $50.

Get more estimates. Go to a place that sells furnaces and ask them for a local recommendation.
Compare the esimtates: it'll give you a start on who's who. BTW, an estimate is just that: an ESTIMATE! Be sure to read the fine print. Doesn't sound like you should be doing this yourself to be honest.
Pop

Marina wrote:

If this is making a new filter housing for the unit I would try to find out the actual filter cost and the materials and labor breakdown. $700 may be ok at the rates some places charge.
In my previous house I used to run an electronic air cleaner on the central air system . More expensive to install but cheaper to operate long term.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think they will help...passing them along to her. (she doesn't know about computers to get on the group herself). Marina