Looking for recommendations for a toilet

Hi,

I'm replacing an old toilet in my house (about 40 years old) and am looking for recommendations. If you've found toilets you like or want to avoid, I woukld love to hear about thet. Does anyone have any experience with Kohler's San Raphael toilet?

Thanks very much, Scott

Reply to
Berkdude

I recommend the Shitmaster 5000.

Reply to
LugoMan

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My recommendation would be to stay away from those elongated types. The seem to be designed for a giant.

Reply to
pbillly

Buying by brand name is not a good idea. Most brands make good models and poor models. Many of the water savers are very good, some are very bad. I was looking at a few the other day. Limiting it to standard looking models (no color or special designer looks) I found models priced from $39.95 to $289.95.

All the cheaper models (which likely make up 90+% of the total sold, especially to contractor homes) have 1.75" traps unglazed. The better ones had 2" or larger traps with additional water surface areas and the trap areas were glazed. Some even had special pressurized water tanks.

Consider the difference. Have you felt the surface of an unglazed ceramic surface? That along with poor design, small opening etc. all contribute to poor performance. Using a lot of water was just a cheap way of getting around bad design.

Get a good water saver and you will be fine. Get a cheap model of any design and you will have problems.

BTW most water savers have a dual flush system. A single press uses

1.6, holding it down gets you about twice that, which is about what the old ones used. So if you just hold the handle down a few seconds when needed, you get the additional flush as well as saving water when you don't need it.

A very large market for them are builders who want the cheapest thing that meets the code, so they all make one. You don't want this. They all also make nice looking models that have a lot of appeal until you get them home and you find that the working parts are the same as the builder's specials.

Consumer Reports magazine did a report on them not long ago, you should be able to find a copy in the library. That may help.

Most people seem to be very happy with the American Standard Cadet models. Note that they do make more than one model in that line and pay attention to the trap design in which one you pick. Others like the Gerber (sp) power flush line. They are a little nosier and have a little more complex flushing system, but it is very effective.

Lowes has a nice web page that shows photos of much of this and even more information.

Joseph Meehan

We got an American Standard Cadet, with an elongated bowl. Without going into details, my wife is extremely satisfied with it.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

a TOTO toilet is the one you want. water saver 1.6 gal. G-max flushing system. the "Ultra max" is awesome even my grandson couldn't clog it with a whole role of toilet paper. the toilet flushed the whole roll with no problem. also it will fit for a 10" or 12" rough in (with the purchase of the offset drain).

Genemy

On 26 Oct 2003 03:59:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Berkdude) wrote looking for a toilet recommendation:

You might read this:

which is one of the sites mentioned in this discussion:
We put in a Toto and have been very happy YMMV

Reply to
royroy

looking for recommendations.If you've found toilets you like or want to avoid, I would love tob hear

Kohler WELLWORTH w/ siphon jet, glazed trapway and elongated bowl. Avail @ Home Depot. Had 3 in the 5 yr old house we just sold. Have 3 more ordered for the new place we're building now. We actually get the 'highrise' or "Comfort level" which is 2" taller (16.5") than standard. Model# K-3427.

In the US, they use 1.6 GPF (6L.). In Canada, its a 13 liter. (We have a lot of water up here)

R.

Reply to
Rudy

Actually both are available here and if you have to pay for water by how much you use, why would you you want the 3.5 GPF model when it does not work any better?

Reply to
Alan

We DONT pay "by how much we use" .. Flat Rate

Reply to
Rudy

My friend owns a plumbing company thats installs toilets all the time. She tells me that the 1.5 gal toilets are useless for the most part. The only one she recommends is a brand called Toto. She has these in her own house. They are the only ones that flush on the first flush she said.

Reply to
Randd01

Not all are useless. I have a Kohler Wellworth that works great always on the first flush. I cannot say that for the 35 year old American Standard it replaced.

Reply to
Alan

Just replaced my old toilet with a American Standard Cadet, one flush every time, best one I've ever had.

Mike K

Reply to
Mjk9234