Looking for recommendations/actual experiences with new windows - please no stupid questions!

gburnore@databasix dot com
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Isn't the customer always right? Even the potential customer? Sorry if I don't want some readneck asshole with Bush stickers on his truck coming into my yard and unleashing a bunch of illegal mexicans to wreak havoc on my yard, and taking 15 minutes to tell me some cracker-barrel story to answer a question that should have been answered with a simple "yes" or "no".
No wonder you "had" a window and door business. Time is money Bubba!
You want new windows , get plexiglass or bullet proof glass or plywood or brick so people don't throw stones through them anymore. Try your junkyard.

Some customers are, simply, "not worth" the trouble
I have 'fired" customers that were too much trouble.
I intentionally turn away potential customers that exhibit stigmata of being 'too much trouble'. It's more profitable _not_ to deal with them than it is _to_ deal with them.
You, I'll refer to the competitor that I like _least_. You two deserve each other.

It sure is. And on that score, isn't amazing how you want people to *give* you their time and expertise? You haven't offerd to _pay_ anyone for consultation, have you?

Nope the customer is not always right. They may think they are right, but are being unreasonable. It is sometimes best if the customer does leave. Though they may bad mouth the business, it is only as effective as their own credibility.

snipped-for-privacy@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
i use a co called window world. they sell/install a welded vynle double pain for 188.00 ,any size. you can add wood facia on the inside or outside ,and low e glass like i did . i couldnt buy this window at home depot for what ww charged me installed. i looked at pella windows ,but wanted to get away from wood. hope this helps...........my freind got the vynle primax windows with 3 panes of glass,they were 600.00 each he likes em too. lucas
USENET READER wrote:

Well, I was going to chip in with my own experiences in completely replacing all the windows in my house, but frankly, I can't be bothered to deal with a snotty little idjit like you.

Do you suppose you could chip in for my sake? We've finally saved what I hope is enough money to replace our windows, but I'm just at the beginning stage of researching the project. I've got 11 windows to replace (and maybe both doors), and I'm considering doing the labour myself (to save money, no other reason). Please say what you have to say. Thanks.
- Owen -

This thread went to hell pretty fast. You may get better result starting a new one.
Owen Lawrence wrote:

Owen, here's what I can remember of the whole project. It was a pro installation, as I am NOT the guy you want on a ladder, and the job is a lot easier with at least two experience guys doing it.
We had the whole house replaced, with the exception of a couple that were too small to bother with. We went with lightly tinted, sealed, argon-filled, double-glazed vinyl frames. No casement windows; the supplier said that they'd never come up with a casement mechanism that they were really happy with. The sliders are spring balanced, not counterweighted. The sliders all unhook, to allow better access for cleaning. They're from Alcan Canada. I don't know what the equivalent supplier would be in your area.
The vinyl is a new(ish) formulation which does not go powdery on you after a few years. They are all vinyl: no wood, no aluminum. There's a green aluminum cladding around them that looks cool as all heck. We like them. They make a considerable difference in the summer, and some in the winter.
Overall, we're happy.
If I could do it again, I would want to make the sliders as big as possible (i.e. exactly half the size of the windows). Those windows with one tiny sliding pane that opens don't give enough ventilation for the sultry tropical climate of southern Canada. I don't even want to imagine what they'd be like in your neck of the woods.
We found that, while very helpful on energy costs, the window change does not make up for fundamental problems with the construction of the house, such as missing or inadequate insulation. (Tract home, built by high-speed idiots. Don't get me started.)
This is important: Go and look at previous production from your supplier. If a supplier can't give you references ("I'm sorry, but our client list is confidential" or whatever lame excuse they use.) then don't use that supplier. You wouldn't buy a beater car without a test drive, and you're planning to have these windows for a long time.
If you don't like how the fit and finish look in a previous installation, don't imagine that they'll magically do better on your job. If possible, talk to both the home owner and the installer, to find out what their experiences were, before you make a decision.
If you're going to put the windows in yourself, after you settle on a supplier, make absolutely sure that you understand exactly what measurements they need. (Glass size? Frame size? Stud to stud? If possible, get THEIR guy to do the measuring.)
Get the facing boards off and have a look at how the windows are mounted; It's not unheard of that a framer will leave out some of the cripple studs or jack studs around a window, if he's in a hurry, which is a bit of a bugger to deal with if you only find it on installation day. Be prepared to fix that before you install your new windows.
When the windows get there, if any are not to spec, send them back. Don't take second rate work. (You may know this already. I've taken a long time to learn the words, "No. That's not good enough.")
It's tempting to replace windows in the decreasing order of decrepitude. Don't fall for this. As soon as you start in one room, it becomes unliveable until you finish. Do the house one room at a time. The best homeowner install I ever heard of involved: Prepositioning windows in the correct rooms. Daughter-in-law ripping out trim, followed by father and son pulling windows and inserting new ones, followed by mother and daughter-in-law doing rough cleanup. (Daughter-in-law worked like a starving Irish navvy that weekend. Got a LOT of props from the old folks.)
Second day was dusting, touchup paint, etc.
HTH.
rm
BobMac wrote:

Hey. I'm getting tired of this chilly Wisconsin weather. I think I might wander out there some weekend and take advantage of that sultry tropical weather you got.

I believe our house is actually an Alcan home, built in th '70s nearly 30 years before we bought it. Can't say I'm really impressed with the construction, but you buy what you can afford. I kind of like the idea of putting Alcan windows on an Alcan home.

When did you do this, and may I ask the cost? How happy we are has a lot to do with how closely our expectations match our reality.

My neck of the woods is Ottawa; we probably get one more month of winter than you do.

Knowing that I'm capable of rebuilding everything except the foundation, I'm tempted to get started myself. I resist the urge, though. It would be better to just move on. Unfortunately some things aren't going to wait for us to do that, so here I am. :(

Yup. Do you ever watch "Holmes on Homes"? Many of his clients checked out several references and STILL got seriously burned. I'll take the advice, but I'm not expecting it to make my world problem free.
Thanks for all the other great suggestions. I'm saving a copy of your response for future reference.
- Owen -

Except that it demonstrated his _inability_ to respond as requested to a "polite request" constructed according to *his* definition of polite.
So, not only is he a proven liar, with apparent Alzheimers-induced short- term memory problems, who expects professionals to _give_ him the benefit of their expertise when he has already stated he is not even a potential customer, he is also a two-faced bastard, who uses a different standard for his own behavior than what he DEMANDS of the rest of the world.
On Sat, 14 May 2005 15:46:15 GMT, USENET READER
[snip]

Have you actually gone out and talked to them? Granted, there are probably many that do fit your description, but it is rather bigoted of you to paint them all with the same broad brush. Just because you look Hispanic is no indication that you are not an American citizen.
I think that those who hire illegals should be penalized, but first we should make it easier for them to verify the illegality of the workers. As it stands, if the employer does more checking on someone who is obviously Hispanic than he/she does one someone who is obviously Anglo, he/she can be sued for discrimination.