Looking for recommendations/actual experiences with new windows - please no stupid questions!

Page 1 of 4
Greetings - I am looking specifically for recommendations on some new windows for my home.
It's a 35 YO split level in the Piedmont area of North Carolina. We do get cold weather but mostly hot weather, direct sun on the windows on three sides of the house.
The house is going to be remodeled from the roof down - new shingles, fascia and soffits, as well as siding. Gonna be putting up Hardiplank siding, and AZEK trim boards and possibly brick mold around the windows.
I went to a home show a few weeks ago, and heard some wild and contradictory claims from window company reps who said that their window technology was better than the other guys.
Basially I have old single-pane wooden windows on the house now. I want to replace them with more maintenence-free and energy efficient windows - wooden on the inside, and they can be whatever works on the outside.
The current technology seems to be either aluminum, vinyl or other molded plastic coverings over a wooden window. The aluminum cladding is either extruded or pressed and joined over the wood. One aluminum guy says that the extruded aluminum is superior to the pressed and joined aluminum covering and that aluminum is better than vinyl because it doesn't expand and contract as much as vinyl The Vinyl guys say that the coloring on the exteriors won't wear out like the paint on the aluminum.
We simply want white or off-white windows for the house that need a minimum of maintenence given the weather conditions down here in NC. So we are looking for someone - a building contractor, an architect, etc - with some real experience with more than one type of window who can tell me the real life pros and cons of the different types of windows for sale in the RTP NC area and make some recommendations.
Please - no BS comments from people who really can't answer the question. Please respond through the group. Thanks!
On Mon, 02 May 2005 18:52:57 GMT, USENET READER

Will you be needing screens, too?
rusty redcloud

Do you need them to open, too?
Do you want these windows wired for 110 or 220?

you bad! <g>
USENET READER wrote:

Don't get the baked-on enamel covering. It does look good, but if a contractor drops a hammer on the window sill while installing it and cracks the covering, the window is done for. A neighbor of mine learned this the hard way.
I had my windows replaced a year ago. Went with Aluminum-clad Pellas, mainly because we wanted the integral blinds and rollup screens and they were the only decent manufacturer offering what we wanted. There may be more competition now. I highly recommend Windows, Doors, and More, in Chapel Hill. They really did an excellent job. They are so good that there is a several month wait for their services, but it's worth it IMO.
xyzzy wrote:

is that enamel baked onto aluminum, vinyl or plastic?

I am looking to buy the windows and install them myself, so I don't need to wait on the installation.
I don't need the fancy screens and blinds - I simply want to know which finish will weather the best around here - you know what sort of exremes we have.

He is as stupid as he is arrogant.
LOL..Then the fuckwit calls people shut-ins while his time-line of replies clearly indicates he hasn't been away from his computer all day.... looooooserrrr.
I find it hard to believe he would even have the money for windows....

Sure he does... *Microsoft* Windows.

I also went with the Pella product. After doing the research my two finalists were Andersen and Pella. Bought Pellas and don't have any regrets.
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

for recommendations/actual experiences with new windows - please no stupid questions!" line as you did here?
or did you use this little heart-warmer?

I was going to tell you that Fine Home Building did a recent comparison and what the results were.... but that tone of yours... YOU go find the issue and the results, okay?
*shaking my head in disbelief*
Robatoy wrote:

No dickhead - I asked them about their windows

Sorry - I get so many shut-ins who ask me stupid questions, like do I want screens on my windows - that I had to qualify my posting with that - I wish you would have kept your stupid comments to yourself - but you must like seeing your postings on line.
You are pretty mouthy for a guy who needs help from dickheads, eh?
Oh, and while you're at it, go fuck yourself.
PLONK
USENET READER wrote:

The simple answer is not that simple. There are many good designs of windows. What is best is generally the best designed and made, not any one specific type of materials. The installation is also a very important part of the whole.
I suggest you start asking questions closer to home. Get a list of past customers, both recent and some who have had their windows for five or more years. Then go out and talk to the customers, don't on testimonials. Best yet is to check with your friends and neighbors who may have had windows installed.
Information here may be good, but someone here who had a good experience with XYZ windows is good, but your XYZ distributor could be the pits and you will get windows improperly installed and never be happy with them.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Consumer reports has a good article, find it. For sun-heat there is SHG to consider Solar Heat Gain. Windows have different ratings for this and other ratings Shg Vlt, R value, you need to learn about them. Hurd has a line for low solar heat gain which may be better than Anderson or Pella, which I have.
Joseph Meehan wrote:

I agree with Mr. Meehan there is no simple answer as to one is the best of all. Many have features and merits worth considering. I have Hurd and some Marvin windows mixed both have lasted me over 20 years without a single problem. I have Anderson patio doors and bay windows which are 5 years old and cannot regeret installling. Certainly Anderson and Pella you can't go wrong, both are excellent quality and are warrantee remain the best. For your area definately tinted double pane type are a must then just look at features and quality. As I said if you cannot decide on which default to Anderson or Pella you cannot go wrong but at least consider others for price and features you may want.
On Mon, 02 May 2005 18:52:57 GMT, USENET READER
.

I guess I qualify -- I'm a renovations contractor.

Oops. Guess you don't qualify.
Ken
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx wrote:

You do qualify as a shut-in who has no valuable comments to make, just BS to post.
On Tue, 03 May 2005 13:25:27 GMT, USENET READER

It was sarcasm, asswipe!
rusty redcloud

Matthew