looking for opinions on unit heater for garage

I'm planning on getting a natural gas unit heater installed in my garage, and I had a couple questions.

1) How much difference is there between brands? So far I have one quote with a Lennox/Armstrong one, and another with a Reznor/Cayenne.

2) The two guys I've spoken with so far both thought that I'd be better off venting it vertically even though the unit can be horizontally vented. Both of them mentioned fewer corrosion problems that way. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Crhis

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Gas heaters are simple devices and I bet most brands are OK. Go with price, appearance, and warranty is what I say.

A vertical vent is most preferred since it is a more effective vent. Horizontal runs are common since it eliminates the problems associated with cutting holes in the roof. So, horizontal runs are kept to the minimum just one run to exit the wall and then straight up from there. Both solutions are acceptable practice.

Reply to
Lawrence

I've had Modine unit heaters in commercial service since 1974 which are still working just fine. Recently installed their 'Hot Dawg' unit heater in my garage and it was a piece of cake. All the components are top drawer quality, the fit and finish are first rate. The price was also better than the six or so others I looked at. Do a Google search for online pricing to see how much you can save.

Agree on the vertical vent. Metalbestos double wall is easy to work with and has adapters that are perfect for the Modine. All the higher efficiency unit heaters these days make a lot more commotion firing up than the older units, so consider hanging your heater on resilient mounts if that might be a problem. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe