Looking for opinions

That's not a good subject - sorry. I just purchased a Cub Cadet mower/tractor. The advertisements say as does the manual that came with it, that it has a 23 HP Kawsaki engine. I brought the mower home and began to just run it around to get used to the steering. It is 50 inch mower with the two handles instead of a steering wheel. Then I tried mowing a little. Going to take some getting used.
Anyway, when I put it in the garage, I noticed that the engine was NOT a Kawasaki, but a 23 HP Kohler brand.
I have nothing against Kohler, my 11 year old mower has a Kohler and it has served me well and I like Kohler. But, I think the Kawaski engine is probably a better engine. In addition, the manual states that it has a gasoline shut off, which this one does not have.
Where I want opinions is, should I just blow this off, or should I try to find a way to contact Cub Cadet and complain and see what they will do? I paid $4,000 for the darn thing (UGH!!!) and I sure would rather have had the engine I thought I'd get.
Hey, give me your opinions because right now, I am a bit emotional about the darn thing.
Thanks, Bob-tx

Would your emotions change, if you got what you paid for?
-- Oren
Bob wrote:

Tractor Store Company
Bob wrote:

Kinda' curious how you could have gotten through the selection and delivery process w/o discovering it wasn't what you thought, but hey...
I'd contact the dealership where you bought it first if you really care that much...

That's a good question - one that I asked myself & don't have an answer. The engine is in plain sight, no excuse.
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:03:47 -0600, Bob wrote:

What did the fine folks who you bought it from have to say?

I got a question...if you knew it wasn't a good subject line, why didn't you just change it instead of telling us it sucked and apologizing? Just curious...
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:10:39 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Another thought, how could the OP not notice that it didn't have the Kaw engine in it when it was delivered? When my Deere was delivered I went over that thing with a fine tooth comb before I signed the paper.
on 9/28/2007 6:03 PM Bob said the following:

Does the manual mention both engines? Perhaps the mower comes with different engines and the manual addresses both engines. That's why I buy cheap tractors, they all come with B&Ss, so there's no confusion. I run them for 10 years and then buy another with newer features.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I know some John Deere have Kawasaki engines, You should get what you were told you purhased or get a Big rebate.
If you purchased the ztr Tractor as opposed to the ztr Rider then it is suppose to have the Kohler.
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category2_10051_14101_43276_16200_16200_-1
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category2_10051_14101_33817_16200_16200_-1

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category2_10051_14101_43276_16200_16200_-1
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category2_10051_14101_33817_16200_16200_-1 Thanks, good site. I have the Z-Force 50, and it does say it has 23 HP Kohler, but that is not what the accompanying manual says. Probably an over site in printing the manual. Here is the one I bought. The same model in the 60 inch has the Kawaski engine.
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_10237_33817_-1
Thanks, Bob-tx
They gave you the wrong manual. Is this your mower? http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_10237_33817_-1

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_10237_33817_-1 Yeah, that's it, and it does say Kohler. No, it is the right manual. I expect they just lifted info' from the 60 inch model and overlooked that error. Bob-tx

suggested retail price is $3999? You said you paid $4000. I would expect that at a retail outlet $4000 would have gotten you one of these 60" models................
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category2_10051_14101_33817_16200_16200_-1
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:03:47 -0600, Bob wrote:

Why would you believe the Kohler is inferior to the Kawasaki? When I think of each brand I associate the Kohler as a proven cast iron industrial engine, steady speed with long life and able to be rebuilt.
I associate the Kawasaki with high RPM's, light weight aluminum with steel sleeves and not as durable but replaceable. My question would be at what RPM range is the 23 HP rated at? I would choose the lowest RPM per HP.

These mowers run at a steady RPM and I believe they are all hydrostatic drive, steer like a skid tire loader. I can't imagine that they bog down or don't live up to your expectations. I would call the dealer and discretely question if the Kohler or the Kawasaki represent the top of the line engine for your model and make a decision based on what they say.

If it were me I'd be happy with the Kohler myself, just personal judgment of keep it simple. Less moving parts is less maintenance kind of thinking.
The Kawasaki brings to mind over head camshafts, more moving parts, more mechanical noise, with a great exhaust muffler system to bring the decibel level down.
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 21:30:56 -0400, RLM wrote:

tnom's links seem to clear the air! Never mind!
I agree with the other poster - the Kohler engine is probably the better one.