Looking for LCD wall mount

Anyone have a Sony KDL40ex400 LCD mounted on the wall. I read that i need 2 3/8" clearance behind it. The salesman says i can use a Low profile Mount. Which is right ? Monoprice keeps sugestioning different mounts. How can i get the right mount?

Reply to
desgnr

If you don't have the manual that came with it, it's probably available on Sony's web site and will probably say. Or...you could look at the TV and see where the "vent" slots are. If most of them face up/down/left/right you might be OK. If they mostly face backward, you might not want to risk it...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

What do you mean by:

"Monoprice keeps suggesting different mounts"

If you have gotten different answers from different CSR's, call back and ask for a supervisor. Explain, nicely, that you are getting inconsistent information and would like to speak to someone who knows precisely which of their mounts will work with your model TV.

****

Perhaps the distance is due the way the cables attach to the unit?

****

This might help also...

Stolen without permission from:

"Note: Certain Panasonic plasma televisions and other displays from various manufacturers have a protrusion (bump) on the back of the display that will prevent the display from seating properly when using a low profile mount. When choosing a low profile mount, please ensure that the back of your display is flat and does not have any protrusions that will prevent it from seating properly on the mount.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "The salesman says i can use a Low profile Mount."

How much faith do you have in the salesman? Was he an HDTV expert in a audio-visual store or a Target employee about to head back for his third year at the local community college?

BTW...Monoprice's Low Profile mounts offer no tilting or swiveling features.

Unless you are OK with a fixed installation, a Low Profile mount might not even be an option.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

As suggested, if you don't have the manual, pull it up from Sony's website. I would use that before any advice from a sales outlet. Where did you read the 2 3/8"? If it wasn't from Sony, I wouldn't believe it. The goal of all the manufacturers is to make these fit as close as possible to the wall. They are going to great lengths and costs to reduce thickness to achieve that too. So, to have to waste

2 3/8" clearance seems a lot. I would think half that would be sufficient. They give off some heat, but with an open vertical air space of over an inch it's hard to imagine how it would not get sufficient cooling air flow.

Also, there are lots of brackets at good prices on Ebay.

Reply to
trader4

As suggested, if you don't have the manual, pull it up from Sony's website. I would use that before any advice from a sales outlet. Where did you read the 2 3/8"? If it wasn't from Sony, I wouldn't believe it. The goal of all the manufacturers is to make these fit as close as possible to the wall. They are going to great lengths and costs to reduce thickness to achieve that too. So, to have to waste

2 3/8" clearance seems a lot. I would think half that would be sufficient. They give off some heat, but with an open vertical air space of over an inch it's hard to imagine how it would not get sufficient cooling air flow.

Also, there are lots of brackets at good prices on Ebay.

desgnr

Assuming it's the mounting guidelines for that specific model, then you have your answer. However, if it were me and I wanted to mount it closer, say 1 1/2" from the wall, here's what I'd do. I'd do a test. Get the TV on a couple of short boxes or similar, so it's off the floor by 6 inches or more and positioned near a wall. Turn it on and set the brightness to the highest you will have it on. Let it run for an hour, then take some temp measurements of the air behind it with a thermometer. If you're seeing reasonable temps, like 95 or less, I'd say you have plenty of air flow. With an open top and bottom, hot air rises, so I'd expect it to stay cool.

Also, keep in mind that when they show minimum mounting clearances, they are for absolute worse case. These TVs are routinely mounted in wall units, built-in cabinets, etc. If you follow the min mounting clearances in that type of install, for back, sides, top, etc, I'd say it;s going to be a lot hotter with 2 3/8 clearance than hanging on an open wall with half that.

de quoted text -

Reply to
trader4

Read up on VESA tv mounting standards. You should get your answers there. Your Sony should have mountings points on the back that conform to one of several VESA standards. After all my Wal-Mart piece of shit did.

Reply to
The Henchman

here is a good start:

The Henchman

AFAIK, VESA only specs the mounting hole spacing, threads, etc., so that the TVs will mount to a bracket. I don't believe there is anything in those standards that specify minimum clearance between the TV and the wall. Clearly the poster is saying for her TV Sony says 2

3/8 is the minimum. There are wall mounts that are VESA compliant that mount closer than that.

Not saying that I don't think it can be safely mounted closer than 2

3/8. I do. Only that I don't think VESA comes into play for that factor.
Reply to
trader4