Looking for facts about fires caused by compact florescent bulbs

Page 8 of 8

Enough that several states brought lawsuits against (have to review articles but...) the EPA and/or some of the midwest utilities who continue to spew crap in our direction.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
SNIP HAPPENS

Quite an accusation. Sunds almos criminal.
Perhaps you'll be so kind as to specify precisely which utilities have purchased precisely which " ...appropriate agency appointees so they could avoid installing the most modern equipment."
I for one haven't read about that.
If you are going to make shotgun charges of whlesale bribery and corruption, it would be really nice to see just who you are accusng, and to weigh the level of proof, if any, supporting your accusations.
Put up the details, or we will all know that you are a blow hard, a pervaricator, a fabricator and a liar, and give any future post of yours on any topic just the credibility it, and you demonstrate you deserve.

You can learn these things for yourself. Has your town been involved in any construction projects that were unbelievably stupid? Projects which no private venture capitalist would've touched?
Yes, or no?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

It was your assertion sonny. You get to back it up, or be perceived as a liar.
Its not my job to do research to show that ypou are not a liar.
You can't back up your accusation of criminal activity and bribery.
You are a blow hard,a pervaricator, a fabricator, and a liar.
You have demonstrated that no post of yours, nor you personally, have any credibility.
clot wrote: ...

Again, the inorganic Hg isn't the issue--the problem is, it doesn't stay that way in the environment always -- it gets methylated which is how it hurts.
Don't know about in the UK specifically, but the current technology in place in the US is estimated to capture only a little over a third of total estimated emissions. This will go up as more wet scrubbers come on line and as other control/abatement technology techniques are implemented.
It's a very complicated area as higher levels of Hg capture are observed for bituminous coal-fired plants as compared to low-rank coal-fired plants, Hg capture varies drastically across existing plants, higher levels of Hg capture are observed in fabric filters (FF) compared to electrostatic precipitators (ESPs), and a significant capture of Hg2+ in wet SO2 scrubbers.
As just one example, the above observation about bituminous coal compared to the low-rank coals is owing in large part to the increased Cl content of the bituminous coals which tend to produce Hg(2+) compounds which are much more amenable to adsorption in ESPs than Hg(0) compounds.
(Spent about 30 years working w/ electric utilities, about the last 20 w/ fossil...)
dpb wrote:

A water utility that I used work for (not quite 30 years but close) has recently installed improved treatment facilities at an incinerator to pull the mercury out of the scrubber liqour sent back to the sewage works for treatment. From recollection this has reduced the mercury load to the sewage works by 75% and improved the effluent quality.
Problem is that the concentration of heavy metals in the ash is insufficient to warrant recovery - where does the sludge go - a hazardous landfill site! The amount will reduce over time since this recycle was the main source of mercury.
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

I hear more about actual fires from lamps other than CFLs than I do about ones from CFLs.
I hear a lot about CFLs failing more spectacularly than one would like, with a main blame being filter capacitors rupturing. The major manufacturers have made improvents in that area, and I hear less about this than I did a few years ago.
As for reports of actual fires caused by CDFs or ones actually catching fire - I don't hear of amny of those, and I suspect those are mostly due to non-UL-listed ones available mainly at dollar stores, and from the few with safety recalls (which includes one of what I would call a "dollar store brand").
One more thing: Many CFLs are unsuitable for use in small enclosed fixtures and in recessed ceiling fixtures. Most over 23 watts are unsuitable there. The ones most suited are probably ballastless ones for use in fixtures designed for them, and after that Philips non-dimmable SLS up to 23 watts. However, if a CFL has UL listing, it is supposed to be at least "reasonably safe" unless used in a manner directed against. Note - ballastless bulbs are not subject to UL listing the way ones with ballasts are.

Where do you "hear" these things? Might be interesting to share the source(s) in the newsgroup.

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 01:05:17 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Are the "Dollar Store" brands any different than the others? They are all most likely made in China, and very likely all the same maker. Then the are given a brand name. In my opinion, they are all the same, except for the price. It's just like (flashlight type) batteries. I can buy Duracell or other name brands for $5 (four AAs), or buy a generic package for $2. They all last the same amount of time. They are all likely made at the same place too. Even if the "name brands" last an hour longer, consider that I can buy 2 and a half times the amount if I chooose the generic brand.
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

I see major differences in:
* Amount of light produced * Truthfulness in claim of light output * Color of light * Color rendering properties of the light * Accuracy in statement of power consumption * Rate of early failures * Rate of failures with smoke, loud sounds, burning glow in base * Rate of strange flickering, strange heating of the base * Construction quality - croooked assembly, some come apart easily * Presence/absence of UL and FCC certification
Don Klipstein wrote:

Other than that, they're pretty much the same, right?
On Sep 19, 2:43 pm, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

I hate em, to the core of my being I hate em, except in the outside fixtures where they last long. They make a bad humming sound, put interference on the power line, and generally give off ugly light, contain mercury, etc. Now with your fire post I hate em even more, I never really thought of that.
Maybe you should take a look at the current crop. While I am sure there are still some duds out there, the ones I have don't exhibit any of those issues.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

I like the light of most spirals up to 23 watts, and few of them hum - none in my experience so far when they have "Energy Star" approval. OK, many do hum fainly enough to hear faintly from 1 foot away, and then only in some fixtures.
I get little interference, usually none. Ones with electronic ballasts are subject to FCC approval. (Dollar store junkers usually lack indication of this.)
- Don ( snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com)
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

I don't think there have been any.
There are 1.5 million Google hits on "fire+CFL," but most seem to be fans ranting about some coach in the Canadian Football League.