Looking for facts about fires caused by compact florescent bulbs

Page 3 of 8

You're an idiot.
on 9/19/2007 9:01 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

Every fluorescent bulb and every neon tube has mercury in them. They have been like that for decades. Let's close Times Square and Las Vegas.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I guess if we were to multiply by ten the number of bulbs being tossed in landfills, the mercury levels around those landfills won't rise.
Right?

Compared to your average coal-fired electric generating plant,it's trivial.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Uh oh. Now I need more information from you.
For every water supply affected by every landfill in America, what are the current mercury levels, and how far are they from causing this, especially if the intake of mercury-laden bulbs increases by factors of 2, 5 and 10? http://www1.umn.edu/ships/ethics/minamata.htm
You have one year to complete this project. Good luck.

Interesting, but it doesn't address groundwater.
On Sep 20, 3:10 pm, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Except when CF bulbs break, the mercury is deposited right in my house.
Maybe y'all could start another topic if you wanna chase this tangent.
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

how often do you break bulbs,incandescent or FL? I can't recall the last time I broke a bulb.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Seriously? I must be butterfingered. I break bulbs at least 3-4 times a year.
mike wrote:

So what?
If you eat fish (yum), the Mercury is deposited right in your tummy.
I hate guesses, so I googled-
http://www.informinc.org/fact_P3fluorescentlamps.php
It's a green group, but I doubt they could get away with mis-information for long ;-)
I have a hundred cfl's in use from the original LOA 22w circlines to the latest 4w mini cfl's. I've had maybe eight failures and two "catastrophic", a bright flash and that was all. I marker the year installed, the backdoor 12w U tube is still running on a 1987 tube, but the 4w mini died in a year. I'm not including three 13w spirals and two 22w circs I flat out dropped (broken) over time.
I agree with Don, there are a lot of poorly built counterfeit cfl's from China at the "junk" dollar stores. (not the Dolgen and Family Dollar like chains) Even the UL, ETL, etc marks are counterfeit.
I do return bad products, even the "no returns" junk stores at least gave store credit for something else. Manufacturers are very sensitive about bad/poor products. Usually they already became aware of the problem and have generous coupon programs to buy redesigned or other products they make.
They really do want happy customers. Dad had a "lifetime guarantee" pocket lighter he bought during WWII, the manufacturer replaced it 3 times when it "wore out" during his lifetime. It pays, he also faithfully bought their other products.
Unfortunately, the high tech products / services companies haven't seen the light yet... But if we are willing to accept some of their crap, shame on us!
-larry / dallas
on 9/19/2007 11:19 PM larry said the following:

I have been using CFLs for years. They are all GEs. Looking at the bulb, I see no GE logo, but I see Made in China on all of them. None have failed so far.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I'm saying that the concern about mercury has been grossly over-hyped. Read earlier post!

The problem with what you're saying is that by the time a landfill is leaching too much mercury into local groundwater, it will be too late to do much about it, except perhaps to inform nearby residents that from now on, they can forget using tap water for cooking, drinking, or brushing their teeth. Remember, too, that this is America, where 54% of the population thinks environmentalists are communist homosexuals, so nothing gets done about pollution problems until it literally hits home.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I appreciate what you are saying. I'm all for minimising materials going into landfills - it's part of my professional life. I'm familiar with the problems that old landfills have caused, am aware of the Superfund program and also the costs! I have visited one such east of LA.
Modern landfills are designed to avoid groundwater problems and the leachates are collected and treated prior to being discharged to watercourses. However, I do believe we should reduce our dependence upon them and find better solutions - one such is incineration of organic fractions utilising the heat and power, but just watch the NIMBYs come out to play if one is proposed in the neighbourhood!

Personally,I do not believe we should be burying our refuse in the ground. It should all go to a reprocessing plant where everything not combustable gets removed for reuse and the combustables get burned to generate electricity/process steam.Then the ash can be put into roadway paving and construction materials.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
on 9/20/2007 12:26 PM Jim Yanik said the following:

I completely agree. It seems that the US is always the last to embrace new environmental technology. Ever notice those pipes sticking out of the mounds in old landfills? They are there to exhaust methane gas into the atmosphere. Couldn't we use methane?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Many places are. And, au contraire to the last to adopt, much of the technology has been developed here. Compare water and air quality presently to 50 or 100 years ago despite the expansion of the economy and population to get a more balanced view...
willshak wrote:

"Seems" could be the operative word here. During the 70's, the US was way ahead of Europe with environmental legislation - cats for cars (although the replacement of lead by MBTE in gasoline was a blind alley), banning of pesticides and vehicle safety iniatives. Today, it does seem that the table has turned, environmental initiatives in Europe do appear one step ahead of the US. I read of a new initiative on the EPA site the other day (cannot think what it is was about now!) which was way behind what's going on this side of The Pond.
I guess these things go in cycles.
I'm surprised to hear of uncapped landfills with vented methane though. We value the stuff and capture as much as possible for power generation - more commonly than not using GE generators - though manufactured in Austria.