Looking for facts about fires caused by compact florescent bulbs

Page 2 of 8

Supposed to be, but if my locale is any indication, those bulbs won't be recycled for a very long time. The county's solid waste facility will accept them if residents drop them off, but none of the trash haulers have a program in place to handle them separately. According to a radio interview a few months back, pretty much nobody drives across the county to drop off light bulbs.

probably not a high enough volume for them.

put a refundable fee on them like soda bottles and cans.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

How much would the fee have to be to get you to drive 35 miles?

Just out of curiosity, what %age of cans actually get returned for the fee. I've been looking around for that stat in another context and can't find it/.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Undoubtedly indeterminate. At the moment, the return value is so low compared to the scrap price as to be totally ineffective as an incentive. Even when first introduced it had only a marginal impact as the value wasn't seen by most as enough to make up for the inconvenience of lugging them back. And even w/ current record or near-record scrap prices, the bulk, even if recycled, go to the no-pay recycle collection points rather than being collected individually for scrap.
I've not looked, but one would assume there could be some information available on the amount of recycled Al and how much of that was can stock and compare that to the amount of can stock produced. That wouldn't be highly precise, undoubtedly, but at least a ballpark guesstimate. Lived near the Alcoa can stock rolling mill in Alcoa, TN, for quite some time and they use almost all recycled feed material iirc. Don't remember annual production, but it'll make a bunch of cans. Hauled the molten Al in large heated vats on flatbed trailers from the melt facility to the mill--always thought it would be a real treat for one of them to get into an accident on the I40/I75 interchange in west K-town and avoided being close to them scrupulously. Suspect 90% of the idjits barreling along at 80 mph plus had no idea what they were tailgating or cutting in and out of traffic around...
dpb wrote:

Actually, that probably isn't true still. I haven't compared value of the scrap to the return but for an individual one the return may still be higher. It's the inconvenience thing that's controlling I think.

But it is still be advocated as a good idea? Especially when factor in the costs of storing, moving it around, etc., before recycling?
At the moment, the return value is so low

According to EPA: While recycling has grown in general, recycling of specific materials has grown even more drastically: 50 percent of all paper, 34 percent of all plastic soft drink bottles, 45 percent of all aluminum beer and soft drink cans, 63 percent of all steel packaging, and 67 percent of all major appliances are now recycled.

Sorta like Han Solo when Pizza the Hut cast him in carbon. (Or am I getting two movies mixed up again??)
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Wouldn't be my first choice solution, no...

I'd have thought the Al can might be a little higher than that but it's still comparatively inconvenient for many places where high numbers are used outdoors which contributes largely to that I suspect...

I remember but can't even think now whether it was actually Han Solo or not??? But, more like whichever one it was (Goldfinger, maybe?) where the bad guy got dropped into the molten metal is what I think of...

Intuitively, though it would seem to be the other way, to me. Most of the outside places where one uses Al cans (except outside a home, where there would be no real difference with inside) would seem to be places like beaches, pools, maybe a forest or woods where it wouldn't be too hard for the municipality or owner to set up recycling disposal areas right next to waste disposal cans. Maybe I am wrong.

Either way the family gets a really nice paperweight in rememberance(g).
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I suppose if they were to set up recycling collection points there they might get some response. I was simply commenting on what is current practice at most places where there are simply trash containers that rarely, if ever, are recycled so my hypothesis is the overall percentages are lowered significantly because for those to be recycled they would have to be toted back home which most don't/won't do except for the pack-it-in, pack-it-out wilderness areas which are a minute fraction in terms of numbers. Hence, the inconvenience factor...

it was "carbomite" Solo was cast in. (no,I'm not a StarWars groupie-geek.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Kurt Ullman wrote:

For california: http://www.consrv.ca.gov/DOR/Notices/Biannual.pdf

But it's not legal to throw them in your Seattle garbage.
Bob

Right. Better to bitch about it here, where it'll be read by what - 20 people? That's enough of a percentage of the population to allow you to feel like a real cool guy.

Right. The EPA is underfunded, but they still have someone at every post office, opening and inspecting packages.

Someone asked. I told my story. Go troll elsewhere.

Bulbs.com ships CFLs UPS Ground, or did so for me in the past, in packages without any indication of hazardous cargo. I have declared them at my post office when mailing to a friend across the country for testing - no problems, no special labels.
In most jurisdictions in the USA, residences can throw out burnt-out CFLs in regular trash, though it is preferred to take suggestions from www.lamprecycle.org
on 9/19/2007 9:15 PM Don Klipstein said the following:

I put my shop's 4' fluorescent tube bulbs in a trash can lined with a trash bag. I then break them with a hammer or other hard object so they fit in the can. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

once the CF bulb breaks,the mercury is released. It vaporizes at room temp. So,handling the remains is not going to contaminate you any further. the threat then is from the phosphors on the broken glass pieces getting in a cut.
If you want to ship the CF bulb,put it in a Ziploc bag,then box it for shipping.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:43:35 -0500, alvinamorey wrote:

I flipped on a 30 watt coiled CF bulb down in my basement a couple years ago and watched in horror as sparks and flames sprayed out of the plastic. I called Sylvania/Osram and reported the incident. They asked for me to send the defect to them. I asked for a postage paid label but they declined so that's as far as it went. Never bought one after that.
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

I've used CFLs throughout the house ( with the exception of the kitchen where we use striplights) for more than 20 years with little problem. I've had one where the glass cracked but didn't fall out of the fitting. Mostly, they have done what was said on the box. Usual life has been 6 to 8 years, though I've also had some early failures as I have in earlier years with filament bulbs.
I'm happy with my energy bills and I hope I've reduced my footprint on the planet. This nonsense about mercury is just that!