Looking for durable dishwasher

Hi all,
I have a 7-year-old Maytag dishwasher that is on its last leg. The engine runs fine (although noisy) and it still washes dishes well. However, the racks are worn out and many holders are falling apart. Water at my house is hard and it must be softened. So the high salt content in the water is making the racks rust prematurely.
I want to avoid this again so I was wondering what features I should be looking for? Is it worth to spend the extra money on a stainless steel tub? What about nylon covered racks (as opposed to vinyl)? What else can help?
Thanks
Martin

I doubt the tiny amount of sodium in the water is creating the corrosion. Fact is, we use softened water in industrial boilers to increase their life, not so they corrode faster.
The racks will corrode once the coating is broken. The coating will be broken for a few reasons: defective to start with, a low quality coating that becomes dry and brittle, abuse when loading or unloading the racks, plain old wear and tear over the years. At 7 years, it is reaching the point where the racks on any brand or type may start to corrode.. Depends on use and care too. Once it starts, little will stop it no matter what type of water you have.
Why do you say it is on its last legs? If it still washes well, it may be best to invest in a couple of racks instead of a new machine.
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:49:03 -0700, Martin Roy wrote:

You got a corrosive environment buy something with the most stainless inside. And how old are you? You want a dishwasher to last the rest of your life, good luck unless your 70-80 yrs old.

DONT BUY A BOSCH! They are service piggies. although they are the quietest, and wash great.
mine is broke again and debating on wether to replace it, 3rd failure in 3 years

I've gotten excellent service with Kenmore/Whirlpool appliances. I don't think you need stainless particularly, a plastic tub will last forever and the white color makes it easier to see stuff when loading and unloading.