Looking for Decks for dummies

Page 2 of 2

Try reading some of the archived posts in this NG. Frustrated deck owners complain over and over about maintenance problems, rebuilding, warping, etc. That should comprise an adequate data sample for you. However, if you are happy with your installation, use it often, then logically you made the right choice. Prospective builders, though, should know both pros and cons that may affect them.
Joe
Joe

re: "maintenance problems, rebuilding, warping, etc."
Yes, I've read many of those posts, but I don't recall too many (any?) of them ending with "I wish it never existed".
If I recall these posts correctly, they all seem to want to make their decks work better/look nicer, but nobody asks about how to tear them down.
You used a telling word in your response - "rebuilding". If these posters really thought that "Decks Are For Dummies" and their decks were "mostly little used", why would they rebuild them? Seems to be like a weekend of demolition would make the "complaints" go away on a more permanent basis.
Of course, I'm just speculating here, but I gotta think that if people are asking about how to fix their decks, then they are using them.
I'll agree with "knowing the pros and cons" before beginning any project, but I guess I just don't see questions about deck maintenance equating to a growing sentiment against them. If that were the case, couldn't we say the same thing about questions related to mold in bathrooms, leaky attics and crumbling garage floors?

Sounds to me it makes the opposite case-- folks use their decks enough that they want to repair them rather than take them out.

Agree there--- I had a deck by an above ground pool for 20 years. I've gotten more use out of the paver patio that I put in 5 yrs ago. But when it was needed, the deck served a purpose.
If the landscaping around my house was different I'd have to build a deck where my patio is.
Jim

Home Depot used to have software that would help with the design. I am not sure if they still do but I know they will design your deck for free. It is a good idea to get someone experienced to design the deck for you. If it is more the 3' high or attached to the house I would have an inspector look at it during construction. This is not for "dummies". The last thing you want is the deck collapsing -full of guests and a lit BBQ.