Looking for best prices for Hardwood flooring

700 square Feet. Looking for best price for Hardwood Flooring. Live in Metro DC area. Looking to buy the hardwood and then hire a pirvate contractor to complete the work. Any suggesstions and or experiences would be appreciated.
Price relates directly to quality in the hardwoods business. Check the individual pieces offered and note how many vertical grain (quarter sawn) pieces there are. If it's all face sawn go to the next higher priced offerings. Installation of the cheaper grades is a nightmare for DIY, aggravating for the pro. Once you find some decent stock, take it home and store it flat for 60 days or so before starting the project. HTH
Joe

Best price for who? The buyer or the seller?
Be sure to check quality as well as price. There are differences. You may also want to get an installer lined up first. Some are pretty persnickety about installing flooring they had no say in buying. You may actually end up paying more or getting a second rate job..

We used Lumber Liquidators for our hardwood floors- got prefinished, 30 yr warranty 5/4 inch red oak for ~$3/sq foot. We couldn't find an installer that would work with this wood so ended up installing it ourselves with a rental stapler from Home Depot. Had no problem with installation, and have yet to see issues with the quality of the flooring. YMMV.
skg

I am home owner or buyer. Thanks for all the input so far.Looks to much of work and might be best to get the installer to do both, purchase and install the hardwood.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (echeckpost) wrote in

The two best (in my opinion) local hardwood flooring distributors (Plumly flooring in Merrifield / Fairfax VA & Cherokee wholesalers in Alexandria VA)won't sell directly to homeowners. Your best bet will be to try lumber liquidators or talk to a professional installer & see if you can get them not to mark up the material too much.
Good luck, Adam