Looking for anyone who has had mold problem and remediation

I am looking for anyone who has a personal experience-good, bad, or otherwise-
with dealing with mold remediation. How was the house remediated? How extensive was the mold? What kind was it? How long has it been, and has it returned? ANY health problems since? We are looking at buying a house that has a significant amount of mold in the lower level, due to an isolated water problem (water problem solved), and remediator says gutting and restoration of affected area (lower level of a trilevel house) and removal of carpeting in upper levels, along with complete cleansing and fungicide of walls and surfaces in the whole house etc will remove the mold and prevent its recurrence IF the water problem does not continue or recur. Anyone care to comment on your experience with this?? We are trying to decide if this is worth tackling. We love the house, and can get it from the bank and repair it for at least $60,000 less than the other houses in the neighborhood. Thanks for any comments!
dancer1 via HomeKB.com wrote:

To add to what I provided with my prior response:
That response was based in part on my experience with a home that had water damage after an ice storm killed the power for about a week while it was under remolding (Interesting it was being remodeled to be used as a ballroom dance studio) and several water pipes broke and did considerable damage.
Any area damaged by the water or showing signs of mold were removed and replaced, or in the case of some structural parts were chemically treated. All areas near mold or which showed signs of having been wet, but not damaged or showed mold were sprayed. Walls ceilings and floors were replaced, lots of insulation was replaced as well. It took about 6 months due to all the local damage to other homes and the extent of the damage to that building along with delays getting materials etc. in part due to the ongoing conversion.
Now over a year later, the only issue that has showed up was a basement leak due to a clogged drain pipe carrying rain water from the gutters and a chimney flashing issue. Neither related to the earlier damage.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Thanks! It's reassurring to know that it won't be a permanent problem! (Hopefully!) Interesting you mentioned the dancefloor, I plan to have one put in for a practice room when they renovate the lower level (one reason I like this house :)
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Hello,
I have had a little experience with mold. I am referring you to an article I wrote about the subject. http://www.helium.com/tm/101750/moldmoldmold-biggest-biggest-threat . I think it will be helpful. Also, refer to the gov. website at the end of the article. Hope this helps. Purpleleaf
dancer1 via HomeKB.com wrote:

insurance companies' data base as having been one with a mold problem and claims for such made. If so, the house might not be insurable or if so, at an exhorbitant rate. I realize they don't insure for mold damage any longer but water damage claims will possibly create the same insurability problem. This all assumes you are in the U.S.A.
Tom G.