Looking for antique brass toggle light switch

Need to replace a couple of old fashioned light switches that are an early

1900's brass toggle style. I've found antique push-button switches, but can't find any brass toggle type switches...

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

Do you mean push back and forth, with a stick on both sides that you push in?

Reply to
mm

Like this?

or like this but a brass toggle?

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

In a house that an ex-GF used to rent, all the light switches were the thick solid brass wall plates with the nice crisp beveled edges, they had a single small hole in the center with a brass handled real toggle switch in them. I ASSumed that that was what the OP meant, but I don't know a source (although the first link you posted looks close.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Paul,

Check your old switch. Look for some kind of markings, names, etc...

Reply to
Oren

The switch is similar to these:

Varilight seems to be the main brand in the UK for these type of switches, but I am not sure how well these wall plates (metric?) will mate with a U.S. junction box....

I'll see if the original switch has any markings on it as to who the manufacturer was.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

Paul wrote: ...

If you have plates and only the switch has failed, you could simply replace the toggle switch in the plate?

I don't know of anybody making them w/ brass handles, though...

Mouser or Digikey undoubtedly have suitable switches excepting for the aesthetics.

I'll allow as I've never seen that in a house, though...lots of the pushbuttons; never a toggle switch.

--

Reply to
dpb

On 11/19/2009 10:24 AM Paul spake thus:

I'm curious about these switches, which I'm guessing are not the same as the typical "bat-handle" toggle switches that others have suggested replacing them with here. Any chance you could post some pictures somewhere so we could see what they look like?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Here's some photos: ( that's not the original wallplate )

I didn't want to pull the switch out to look for markings, the wiring is very tight and somewhat fragile. My friend got an electrician to give the switches a "tune up" so we're good for now...

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

I've never seen those--where is this geographically and any idea on actual time frame when these were installed?

Is the one a 3-way?

What did the electrician do as a "tune up"--spray them w/ contact cleaner or somesuch or just tighten connections, etc.? I'd be a little nonplussed by the amount of apparent corrosion products around the terminals that would make me want to see if they're running warm.

But, I've no clue where you would find anything evem remotely resembling them...

--

Reply to
dpb

I just googled "antique brass toggle switches" and got quite a few hits.

Here's one that looks pretty close

I assume you're in the UK.

Reply to
homer

Cleveland, OH, USA, house built in 1923.

I am not sure what he did to tune them up, but if memory serves when the switches are pulled from the box I believe the contacts are accessible and can be cleaned.

The switch on the left is a 3-way.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

Europe? Post WW II?

In 1972 urinals were troughs and one pissed against the wall.

Reply to
Oren

The switches in the OP's pictures are definitely of American origin. The mounting ears and screws would fit todays American switch boxes. I've seen a lot of old porcelain insulated electrical devices but not that particular item. I've seen the same sort of porcelain switch but it had the squared off toggle handle.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Rehabbing the switches, as you have done, may be the best solution.

Possibilities state historic preservation office - for advice architectural salvage company historic houses - for advice

As you probably know, the original wall plate would have been brass with round holes that matched the switches.

Reply to
bud--

bud-- wrote: ...

I'm still most curious as to how one "rehabs" a sealed ceramic switch???

Other than that, good thoughts for renovation/restoration tips.

I saw none of the links even to the UK switches had a 3-way listed as available; only 1-4 gang combinations.

Going to be a pickle if really need one of these puppies methinks in the US. Will be interested to see if eventually uncovers a source--I could see using one or two in the old house meself just 'cuz they are kewl... :)

I broached going back to the original-to-this-house pushbuttons that Dad replaced w/ silents when folks did the renovations but swmbo didn't like the idea that much... :(

Reply to
dpb

In our house there are a couple of the old push-button switches. When we moved in 15 yrs ago one of them was not working well, it would make contact intermittently and did not feel right when pushing it in. After not finding a similar replacement available (this was just before widespread Net shopping) I decided to just take it out and see if I could rehab it. A good cleaning and regreasing was all it needed

- nice solid brass innards, good stout springs, etc. - it was built to last. 15 years later it is working fine. You might find the same applies to yours. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

If they're the style that were disassemble-able, surely; the pic's OP showed indicate he has a ceramic-encased style. Mayhaps there's a way to get one apart but couldn't see so from what was shown.

The problem here isn't mechanical nor electrical, it's "permissional"... :)

The old switches are in a box in the barn; all that I've looked at seem just fine (lacking grounds, etc., but then again, we went quite a long time pretty satisfactorily before that was a requirement, anyway...)

--

Reply to
dpb

From what I gleaned looking at the UK switch web sites, they refer to a

3-way as an "intermediate" switch, and they are indeed available. Though it's hard to tell from the UK sites whether a multiple ganged switch plate could be disassembled from the face plate and one switch replaced with a 3-way....

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

Guess you delved deeper than I, then... :)

I didn't see that but I didn't do extensive looking, either...

Will be most interested in what you finally find out/do...in a former life did many early refurbishments in Lynchburg, VA, from antebellum-vintage to pre-Depression era that had all sorts of old and occasionally odd or unique electrical stuff from either initial wiring or retrofits. But, I hadn't come across these down there...

--

Reply to
dpb