Looking for a pressure washer.....

Wanting to buy a gas powered pressure washer. Read the myths, etc (psi isnt always the most important feature, etc). and now am picking a brand and model.

Costco and Sams carry decent Karcher models, the only thing Im unsure of is the pump....its built by Karcher, so its probably a couple steps above the HD-type models, but not as good as Cat (or maybe even AR?)

Lowes has a decent Toro (or maybe it was Troy Bilt?), 2500 psi 2.7GPM with what looks to be an AR pump. Comparing that to a Karcher 3000 psi 2.5GPM with Karcher pump, what might be the better model? The engines are a wash, they both come with Honda GC series. The Lowes model is actually a little cheaper, I assume because of the less psi (which may or may not be a huge deal). I might be able to use the extra psi, as I plan to remove stains from concrete, etc. with it, but Im not sure if the 500 psi is worth getting a lesser brand pump.

So in a nutshell, how are Karcher pumps? If they are good it seems the Costco model might be the best fit, otherwise the Lowes one seems to be good.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Reply to
chrisexv6

TroyBilt lives no more. MTD bought the name.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yeah knew that, but wasnt sure if MTD still builds the stuff under their name. I still have a Bolens tractor back when it was really Bolens :) along with a Bolens snowblower that Ill be selling soon.

Either way, Im not enamored by brand names anymore.......rather get some "real" information from people who own the stuff, regardless of the brand name stamped on it.

-Chris

Reply to
chrisexv6

Looking for a PW myself. Wal Mart sells the Karcher. I just need one to clean the house siding (painted wood). Karcher 1500 PSI is $95. Would this be adequate?

Reply to
wf3h

Ive used a pressure washer once so far. Borrowed a 1300 psi electric unit. Had to clean our 17'x40' deck. It took me 12 hours of pressure washing to clean the wood off enough to seal. Because of that, I would never try an electric again. I may just be jaded, but since I need to buy one now, and from that one experience, Im going to buy a gas one and spend the money to get a decent one.

If by "clean" the siding you mean just get rid of mold/mildew, the electric might work OK. If you want to remove paint, you'll probably be better off with a gas powered unit.

Im thinking a pressure washer is one of those things you dont need until you have it, then you come up with a neverending list of things you can do with it.

-Chris

Reply to
chrisexv6

I'm looking at an electrical one largely to powerwash driveway and the crap on the pool deck from the winter. Anyone think electric would work for that?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

My experience indicates that the garden hose with a good spray tip is stronger than an electric.

GPM and gasoline engine power are the only way.

Reply to
DanG

For my asphalt driveway I use a backpack blower. I don't think I'd use a powerwasher on it, I'd loose too much material. A cement driveway would be OK.

I use an electric powerwasher on my deck, pool deck, pool railings, siding, brick walks. It's great for that stuff.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Check the Karcher thread a couple days back.

My PW is an Ex-Cell brand with a brass CatPump. Since circa "92-'94; when I bought it. I fixed the carb once. It runs perfectly right now.

The brand name has changed - I think.

-- Oren

Oren

HD sells the Dewalt gas washers - I just bought one after years of a smaller gas model. This new one is 13HP GX powered commercial pump (3500psi, 4gpm) and truly a pleasure to use, quiet, smooth, powerful, quick connects on wand, which is a real plus when you have to move the thing around a lot. Its $1000, though there is a smaller but similar build Dewalt for $700.

HTH

Dean (2000 sq ft of deck)

Reply to
dean

Note that you can rent that washer in HD for $1300 per month LOL!

Reply to
dean

Damn I'm going to rent one tomorrow.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I noticed that some of the Excell washers came with cat pumps. unfortunately those are also the ones that no one seems to be selling, even used.

Some of the Excells at HD seem to have AR pumps on them, not as nice as CAT but not too bad. Again I wanted to compare it all to a Karcher pump, because I havent been able to find any brands locally other than the Excell/AR and some commercial models with CAT pumps (which are too large and expensive for my taste anyway).

-Chris

really loves it."- Hide quoted text -

Reply to
chrisexv6

I think Ive narrowed down the choices, each with their own pros and cons.

    it comes with a Comet pump with ceramic plungers
    |1||P_SignDesc1&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=pressure%20washer&Ntt=pressure%20washer&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1 because it comes with the Costco "return it anytime forever" warranty
  3. Dewalt dp 3100, because it comes with a CAT pump and commercial Honda engine, but the price is a real stretch. Figure 585 + tax, with
12 months 0% financing

Any opinions on the 3? I know #3 is the best, but I cant completely justify spending so much. Id really like the Costco one, but I

*still* havent heard anything (good or bad) about Karchers current pump models. Even tried calling some of the service centers and they were fairly non-helpful. Northern one seems to be decent at least, Comet seems to be a decent pump and they threw in some of the upgraded features (like ceramic plungers and a thermal relief valve), just hate to have to pay shipping and its "interesting" that you have to put the whole thing together (including mounting the engine on the frame). Im wondering if its a really nice washer in disguise, the price being kept low because of the fact you need to assemble it, it doesnt come with all 5 tips (just 2), etc.

Any addiotnal advice would be helpful!

-Chris

Reply to
chrisexv6