Looking for a kitchen sink..."Hi-Lo"?

We would like to replace our kitchen sink( standard double bowl" with another with the over set type with one large bowl and one small bowl for the disposer. I have heard the called "hi-Lo's but wonder if there is a more common name. Considering stainless or perhaps one of the granite composites. Any links to online outlets for such? Thanks

Reply to
Ubin

Lots.

I recently installed a Kohler 3351. Available from numerous outlets although this was the best price I was able to find:

This specific model is for undermount but I think Kohler make a self-r****ng equivalent too.

You could start at

to select a model and then hunt down the best price.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

High/low is the most common I see, but you'll miss options searching for just that. Just look for double bowl sinks and you'll find a lot of variations.

Now, I used to have a symetric double bowl sink, and thought the idea of one huge bowl and a smaller bowl with the disposer would be great.

That was until I bought a house with such an arrangement. I didn't care for it.

The large sink was so damned big I felt guilty and impatient filling it with water. The small bowl was too small to put any dishes in, and... here's the thing, I want my disposer under a bowl where I'm washin crap off the dishes. If the bowl's too small, what's the point--I was always having to clean the cruft out of the big bowl where I did all thework and had to install a strainer, etc.

I'm back to symmetric double bowl now, and owing to waste pipe height in my conversion to undermount sinks, I have even forgone the disposer.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

The manufacturers all have websites with info. A google search will find online places to buy them, there is also Ebay, though I think a sink is an item where it's going to be much better to just buy it locally.

As for going with the type with one big bowl and a small disposal bowl, I had this type and replaced it a year ago. IMO, this is the most useless type of sink there is. They are predicated on the idea that you will use the small bowl to scrap of food from dishes, prior to washing them in the other bowl. I just scape mine into the garbage can and put it in the dishwasher which is right there. And most of the stuff I want to send down the disposal comes from food prep work, which I do over the large bowl, so that's where I want the disposal. For example, if I'm rinsing off, peeling, vegs, I do it over the large bowl, then send the scraps right down.

My strong sink preference is 2 deep bowls, one large, one about 2/3. Take a look at the Kohler Marsala. This gives you one big bowl that you can fit even most large pot/pans, and a second bowl that is big enough as a functional second one. It's very convenient to have that second clean sink there when you suddenly need it during some cooking operation. The Marsala also has very deep bowls, which make a big diff. Now when I use the spray head, there is much less blowback. And the drains are located in the rear corners of the bowls, giving you more availabe fuctional bowl space. Also, it's set up as a single faucet model, with the faucet going in the back area behind the center divider. This frees up what would normally be used for sill area in the back where faucets would be, allowing both bowls to go back another

3", giving you more bowl room.

If I wasn;t getting the above, I'd go with either a double bowl or one large bowl.

Reply to
trader4