Looking at Cable TV options

Page 4 of 4

Sorry for the misunderstanding..I wasn't extolling the qualities of the TV cards in PCs.
I don't have a TV in my office at home or at work, but I occasionally like to watch some sports or even a regular show when I'm surfing or doing some work that doesn't require a whole lot of concentration. Most times it's just there for company.
I'll sometimes make the TV window as small as a couple of inches square and set to Always on Top, which allows me to leave my app windows set to full screen. A right-click on the TV expands it if something interesting happens, and another right click sends it back to its corner.
I'm not trying to convince you to get one...I'm just telling you how I use mine. :-)

You only have the one monitor hooked up to your puter?
RicodJour wrote: (snip)

At home, yeah. Older machines, whose value would be doubled if I put a fancy 2-hole video card in them. My monitors are all still glass 4x3 (or so) format. I'd like a modern wide monitor, but these all still work fine, and I have a bunch of them- 2 19" and half a dozen 17", one for each PC plus a couple of spares. I used to deal in junk PCs, back when where there was money to be made in that niche. I can't GIVE these PCs or monitors away at this point. Being a cheap SOB, er, FRUGAL, I can't justify upgrading as long as all these still work well enough for my now-limited requirements.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

No, I surf newsgroups at work in between sorting out clueless user requests :)

When I had cable I used to have TV going while in the office, usually on CNN. The endless stream of scam advertising that permeates all of broadcast radio and TV ended my watching / listening to broadcast, and it's permeation into cable helped end my cable viewing as well.

Cheapest, but not the best deal. You need cable or satellite to get History Channel, Discovery, HDNet, Science Channel and other stations with interesting programs. I'll take Modern Marvels over Oprah any day.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, the channels like that are how I rationalize the fifty bucks a month I piss away on TV. Like I don't stare at glowing phosphors enough in my day job, plus on here at night.
-- aem sends...

I get Discovery programs on DVD, no commercials too. Redbox has DVDs for $1 per day, much less $ than any cable service. I can think of one reason to have cable, and that is for sports programs which I rarely watch.

This discussion is turning into a debate similar to which color of car is prettier.
Like the old saying goes: "You to your fancy, and me to my Nancy", said the old lady as she kissed the cow.

Kissing cows is not normal, no matter how many times they sneak that kind of material into a TV show.

I had forgotten about the insidious bovine agenda. Thanks for the heads up. ;)
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:05:09 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

Blue.

Why are you dragging my dog into this...? ;)

I will too. I seldom watch those local channels.

Mark Lloyd

I used Time Warner (Comcast?) and I got sick of the bill increasing for mysterious reasons on what seemed like a monthly bases. When I'd call, or go down there, I always got vague answers. (Taxes, regulations...I don't think they knew)
Finally, I switched back to Dish. God forbid you should ever have a problem (receiver crash) but the bill stays the same low price they offered in the beginning. The DVR works well and can record 2 shows at the same time.
Good enough for me.
Jim
desgnr wrote:

I generally lean towards cable if it's available. That way you can get the highest speed internet available. I have dish and a slow ass dsl.