Looking at Cable TV options

I'm wondering how they do that. I can record hi-def digital TV programs on my PC which has an inexpensive tuner.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have not had cable TV nor satellite in over 20 years and don't miss it at all. I get faster/better news on the Internet and (free) radio. Yeah, I got to know when they pass the health reform too, I'm not buying it, maybe leaving to somewhere else with more freedom.

Reply to
Phisherman

the trouble you are having with your remote control which is

Stop it, y'all. I'm cringing in remembered pain. I had to deal with Indian call centers twice this week.

Standard disclaimer- nothing against the individuals way over there answering the phone. They are all very nice, and I can handle that British they speak rather than proper 'Murrican english. I can even handle the fake western names. The stupid script they have to follow tries my patience, but having a help desk at my office I understand how all that works. But the accents stretch the limits of my patience. Having to spell out everything makes a simple task take 3 times as long. Maybe if they had real phone lines instead of crappy VOIP for the international leg, it would be better.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Comcast Internet: $55 a month and $50 installation AT&T DSL Lite: $20 a month, free self-install.

I asked Comcast why they do not compete with AT&T's DSL lite? She told me they need the money to feed their families. I told her I do too.

Reply to
Phisherman

My local cable company encrypts everything that isn't available over the air.

Order HBO and try recording that over your inexpensive tuner and then get back to me.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I wish AT&T would expand their DSL circle another half-mile to include my house. I know the outside plant involved, and know it would work fine here. But since the abortive (around here, at least)U-verse rollout, I think any DSL expansion is frozen. I had to go with a 3rd party DSL provider on a dry pair, at twice what ATT would charge for the same speed. And around here, Comcast bends you over- their service is 20-30 bucks more expensive.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Cheapest, but not the best deal. You need cable or satellite to get History Channel, Discovery, HDNet, Science Channel and other stations with interesting programs. I'll take Modern Marvels over Oprah any day.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yeah, the channels like that are how I rationalize the fifty bucks a month I piss away on TV. Like I don't stare at glowing phosphors enough in my day job, plus on here at night.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

On Thu 12 Nov 2009 04:59:45p, Phisherman told us...

I guess it really comes down to where you live and what you really need.

I chose a Cox bundle of phone, internet, and cable over going with satellite + Qwest phone and DSL for two reasons. First and foremost, since I work at home most of the time, I needed the high speed internet that Cox could provide, but Qwest could not come close to. Secondly, the Cox bundle was actually cheaper in my area than the satellite + Qwest combination.

I'm not the one in the family who pays the bills, but I do remember that the Cox installation was free with 2 free converter boxes, free cable modem, and free phone modem. The only think I needed to buy was a wireless router to handle our additional 3 computers.

Cox is completely digital and, in our neighborhood, is fiber optic all the way to every termination in our house.

Monthly charges are also less with Cox than with the other combination.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

DD,

If that's all you've had to put up with you're doing well!

Normally you have to struggle through a series of inane questions like:

Have you tried the remote on another cable box?

Have you tried power-cycling the cable box? And the other one you tried it on?

Have you tried replacing the batteries? What brand of batteries are you using? Are they out-of-date?

Have you tried cleaning the battery terminals?

Have you tried cleaning the batteries?

Have you tried cleaning your fingers?

Have you tried cleaning the table the remote is stored on?

Have you tried plugging the cable box into another outlet?

Have you tried reversing the AC plug on the cable box?

Have you tried the cable box on another TV?

How is the cable box connected to your TV? Have you tried a different connection?

What brand is your TV? Have you tried a different one?

Have you tried cleaning your TV?

Have you tried holding the remote differently?

Have you cleaned the remote?

Have you cleaned the volume button? What did you clean it with?

Are there any bright lights on in the room? Is the sun hitting the cable box or the remote or the TV?

Have you tried using an IR sensor and protocol analyzer to check the data coming from the remote?

Have you tried buying an injection-molding machine and making a new housing for the remote?

Have you tried buying an injection-molding machine and making new buttons for the remote?

...all in a desperate (and lengthy) effort to avoid sending you another $5 remote control*.

;^)

Eric Law

*Actually a lot of this is based in truth. On more than one occasion, I've watched techs argue with Dell support for over half an hour to get a fan replaced! Not some expensive exotic fan, just standard case fans on desktop PCs.
Reply to
Eric

Likely you can record SD not HD. They can instantly stop you from doing it by encrypting the content. Don't expect things to get better because the hollywood types are big liberals and tell Obama what they want.

Reply to
George

Yes, of course. Those mean old liberals are running all the corporations doing everything to maximize their profits.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Pretty much. Greedy people aren't unique. One of the worst places I was ever employed used to be decent until a big time liberal (one of Clintons golf buddies) bought it. We turned a decent buck over to the previous owner and it was a great place to work.

One of the first things the new owner did is try to save money by bullying folks who had health issues/personal issues "on paper". Meaning suppose someone had a health problem and a was an asset to the company and they needed to take time off for treatments etc we simply covered for them. The new owner issued a ruling than we couldn't do that and anyone with such absences needed to be thrown under the bus. Same was true of caregivers. We had a couple really good workers who were caring for elderly parents etc and would sometimes need to leave for a short time during the day etc. We had to throw them under the bus. Then the proclamation was made that there were no more sick days. Taking time off for sickness was a really bad thing. Next our average health insurance plan was diluted to almost worthless to save money.

Previously folks on salary would work as much as necessary during a big project. New owner demanded we needed to throw 20% of the employees under the bus no mater what and everyone had to work a minimum of two extra hours each day for free and also come in on Saturday for free. Soon that was extended to mandatory Sundays for free.

I reported to our VP who was often invited to lavish decadent no money spared parties in NYC hosted by the new owner.

Eventually it all imploded. Folks (including me) couldn't stand working for the greedy POS and they left. A few years later I heard there were some sizable awards made to the various folks who were bullied because of health and family problems.

Reply to
George

A new owner brings change. It may not be palatable, but this is the way of the world.

RicodJour

Not hardly. Assuming his licensed doesn't have too many black marks, he just fills out a form, pays his money and is licensed with no problems. The teachers don't work like that. Even your renowned surgeon couldn't teach.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

So instead of the one-way TV, you spend time on this 2-way TV otherwise known as a computer?

Just sayin'.

Personally, I usually do both at once. I very seldom JUST watch TV. Maybe 2-3 hours a week. It usually functions more as a fireplace- pretty flickering lights and the sounds of human voices. If I hear something interesting, I may look up from the computer or newspaper or whatever, but quite often a show is over before I realize I missed most of it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

re: "If I hear something interesting, I may look up from the computer..."

For < $30 you can get a TV card for your computer and put a little TV window up in the corner of your monitor.

Search eBay for "hauppauge wintv card"

I paid $17 for mine a few years back and have been watching basic cable on my system ever since.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I get Discovery programs on DVD, no commercials too. Redbox has DVDs for $1 per day, much less $ than any cable service. I can think of one reason to have cable, and that is for sports programs which I rarely watch.

Reply to
Phisherman

No, I surf newsgroups at work in between sorting out clueless user requests :)

When I had cable I used to have TV going while in the office, usually on CNN. The endless stream of scam advertising that permeates all of broadcast radio and TV ended my watching / listening to broadcast, and it&#39;s permeation into cable helped end my cable viewing as well.

Reply to
Pete C.

This discussion is turning into a debate similar to which color of car is prettier.

Like the old saying goes: "You to your fancy, and me to my Nancy", said the old lady as she kissed the cow.

RicodJour