Looking at a flat...any idea what this smell is?

I was just looking at an upstairs 2BR flat that was visually beautiful. All new super-modern kitchen, beautiful two-tone paint throughout. Garage and washer/dryer (not just the hookups) were included.

However...there is this menthol-ish smell that is present throughout the place. The owners assured me there were no cats/smokers in there previously, but I'm not so sure. I looked at another place many years ago that was similar and turned out it was owned by a lady with like 100 cats that pissed everywhere.

Is there any product used to cover up either odor that might have a menthol-ish odor? I realize it's difficult to ask this without actually experiencing it, but I'm hoping there's some commonly used product that has this smell.

Note that the place has nice (apparently redone) wood floors.

TIA, Pat

Reply to
Patrick Maloney

Stubby

Reply to
buffalobill

Please post a sample of the smell that we can download and smell it ourselves. It would be a lot easier to identify if we can smell it. Just use your smellavision converter to make a digital sample.

Justin

Reply to
justinh.....

Patrick Maloney spake thus:

Dunno what the smell is. (As someone else suggested, you should have uploaded a sample to MySmell.com.)

But in general, I don't see why this should stop you from taking an otherwise desireable place. When I moved in my place, it had a vague but oddly strong smell throughout that I could never identify. Not extremely objectionable, but just bad enough to be annoying. It went away after a few months.

Cleaning stuff can do wonders, too. Who knows? maybe it's the residual odor of the floor varnish.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yeah, and if you looked in the garbage can, you'd probably find a can of Glade (or other brand) air freshner, Some people get carried away with that stuff. I only use it around my cats litter box when I am too tired to change the litter. Sure wish I could train the cats to use the toilet !!!!!

I'm off to mysmell.com :)

Reply to
someone

Reply to