Long reset time in gfi outlet

I have a problem with my microwave oven tripping the gfi outlet it's plugged into. Once the gfi trips, it takes hours until the reset button 'clicks' & I have restored power to the outlet. I have an outlet tester with a button to press to trip a gfi outlet. When I use this to test the outlet, the gfi trips immediately, & I can quickly rest the gfi outlet. So my question is, why this long delay in resetting the gfi outlet when the microwave oven trips it (it trips when I turn on the oven), versus a quick reset when using my handy dandy tester?
Thanks John
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 15 Oct 2004 01:26:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (John Bagdanoff) wrote:

You may be overloading the GFCI outlet. Microwave ovens pull quite a bit of power. Check the wiring size and if adequate install a 20 amp GFCI. They make them, they just cost more than the usual 15 amp rated ones.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

gfci's are for personal protection in homes not for equipment. The suggestion of getting an 20 amp outlet might help.
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You don't say this, but I presume you have the microwave plugged into a 20a kitchen circuit that complies with code by being protected by a GFCI. Is that correct?
When you plug your tester in, the test button trips the GFCI instantly and allows immediate reset. When the microwave trips the GFCI, it takes an hour before you can reset. Is that correct?
Do you leave the microwave plugged in for that hour, or do you unplug it? If you leave it in, perhaps the microwave takes that long to resolve it's fault. If you unplug it, you must have a defective GFCI.
There are 15a and 20a GFCI outlets, but afaik they are the same except for the prong configuration.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Why would there be a GFI outlet in the kitchen? Is this a new code requirement? When I built my house in the late 70s all that was needed was the usual double 15 amp outlet, with seperate breakers for the upper and the lower outlet in a duplex receptacle. I haven't heard of any change.
That said, if a GFI breaker is not a code requirement, then replace it with a regular 15 amp breaker.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

It is not necessary to bring old installation up to code unless you do some work on them.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

We should get in the habit of saying if we are US or Canada. The laws differ in the kitchen.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You can try replacing the GFI, but I think you have a problem with your microwave oven. Try plugging a different appliance into that GFI receptacle to see what happens.
John Grabowski http://www.mrelectrician.tv

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You don't mention whether other appliances on the circuit also have the 20 minute delay. Many appliances have their own internal safety breaker, and some of those are temperature/time dependent. Perhaps the breaker that is taking 20 minutes to reset is inside the microwave, and not the GFI. Does the whole circuit go off for 20 minutes? When the microwave goes off, does the GFI reset immediately if you disconnect the microwave? I suspect the defect is inside the microwave, causing both the 20 minute delay and also perhaps the GFI fault. Microwaves are cheap, and a little dangerous to fiddle with. Consider replacing the microwave.
Dave

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.