Long lasting insecticide?

I have some crumbled spots in the concrete slab under my house. These are at the edges where "tackless" strips used to be anchored. I'm installing a floating floor now and want to patch the slab and prevent insects from crawling in. Can anyone suggest a "permanent" insecticide? In the old days we would have used chlordane but that has been outlawed and is unavailable now.
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:32:37 -0400, Stubby

If you're physically blocking the holes, why do you need insecticide?
Goedjn wrote:

Cracks and voids.

How about filling the cracks and voids?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Of course. Easier said than done. Getting to the backside of pipes and into very small cracks is time consuming. Do you know of an insecticide that will last forever? Liquid is best. Thanks.

One reason many insecticides are banned is BECAUSE they last forever - they don't break down into simpler elements over time. That's why you DON'T want to use them.
Question: When these chemicals leach into the ground, where do you suppose they sometimes end up?
Stubby wrote:

DDT.
Now available from your local World Health Organization office.
HeyBub wrote:

'aint that the truth...!
Rob
Stubby wrote:

Not sure what those two have in common but no, there is no permanent pesticide.
Bob S.
snipped-for-privacy@alum.mit.edu says... :) I have some crumbled spots in the concrete slab under my house. These :) are at the edges where "tackless" strips used to be anchored. I'm :) installing a floating floor now and want to patch the slab and prevent :) insects from crawling in. Can anyone suggest a "permanent" :) insecticide? In the old days we would have used chlordane but that has :) been outlawed and is unavailable now. :)
Well the closest thing you will come to be permanent would be the inorganics such as boric acid, silica gel, diatomaceous earth, but even with those over time they will be covered with dust/and dirt and become less effective. Placing them around the interior side of the foundation may give you some aid.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS
The closest thing to a long lasting insecticide will be filling the cracks and voids.