Long bolt: make my own?

Page 1 of 2

I need to attach some wood to a post at the top of my stairs to be able to mount a baby gate. I was just going to bolt the wood to the post.
Problem is that the bolts have to be pretty long. I bought some hex bolts that are barely long enough (8"). I can't find longer bolts online unless I get a much fatter bolt, which I don't want to do.
I could use the 8" ones, but I was wondering if I could "make my own." I bought the hex bolts at HD, but also got 3 feet of "threaded rod." I figured I could just put some nuts on the rod and cut it with a hacksaw. I'm pretty sure it will be strong enough.
Only complication is that this is for kids (toddlers), and they love to eat everything. So I don't want them unscrewing the nut sticking out of the wood I attach. Is there an easy way to fix the nut, essentially making my own bolt? I was thinking of putting super glue on the threads and then quickly screwing the nut over that. (I'm not so worried about the nut on the other end, which would be free just like a regular bolt---that end won't be as easily available to them.)
TIA,

I have had good luck finding long bolts at http://www.boltdepot.com /. __________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Thanks for posting that link. I occasionally need a long, fully- threaded bolt but the local hardware, Home Depot, etc., generally only have partly threaded bolts in the longer sizes.
Paul

You are very welcome, Paul. I just retrieved a package of 8" SS carriage bolts that I ordered last week for re-bracing under my deck. I could have gotten them from McFeely's, but they would have cost me $4.00 more...each. __________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

I ordered 9" hex bolts. Then I read all the replies and thought, "Damn, I wasted my money, could just use epoxy, and these bolts will take forever to get here by UPS ground." But they shipped right away, and since the distance isn't that far (just a few little Eastern Seaboard states away), they'll get here tomorrow.
OTOH, since they're hex bolts and not fully threaded, the dimensions might not quite work for sure. But then I'll fall back on some of the other suggestions here.

No glue like Epoxy or Loctite is going to stop someone with a wrench from being able to take off the nut. Just weld it.

Oh, so now the toddlers he's trying to protect have access to his tools?
Put the toolbox on the other side of the gate so they can't reach it.
Or, since they're still young, they're still teachable.
Righty-Loosey, Lefty-Tighty
They'll never get the nuts off!
Or, since they're still young, they're still teachable.
Righty-Loosey, Lefty-Tighty
They'll never get the nuts off!
Or even more devious would be to have some of the fasteners with left hand threads...
RickH wrote:

I like the welding option. But if you can't, just leave a little thread sticking out and smash it with a hammer. Bolt will be very difficult to remove.

re: "So I don't want them unscrewing the nut sticking out of the wood I attach."
How friggin' strong are these toddlers?
A couple of options:
Epoxy the threads before screwing the nut onto the threaded rod. Use epoxy, like 5-Minute epoxy or JB Weld, not super glue.
Since you're drilling into the post anyway, why not counter sink the head (or nut) of the 8" bolt? If you recess the head (or nut) the super human toddlers won't have anything to gnaw on.
By the way, if you cut the threaded rod with a hacksaw, screw a nut on first so you can "fix" the cut threads after cutting by unscrewing the nut. You may need a wrench, but it'll straighten out the threads as you back the nut off.

Weld the nut to the rod. If you dont have a welder take it to your local muffler shop chances re they'll do it for you for 5 bucks.
Or just tell the kids hands off.
RickH wrote:

If the kids are going to be unsupervised long enough to unscrew a bolt, the gate isn't going to solve safety problems.

That's what I was thinking as well.
On another note, I would use acorn nuts for this application, to eliminate ant threads exposed at the end of the all thread.
Jon
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 11:01:06 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:

Yes! I just posted about those, but couldn't remember what the heck the proper name for them was. Acorn nuts it is. :-)
Jon Danniken wrote:

I'm serious, and not trying to trash the OP. Toddlers (more than one?!) can do tremendous damage in about 10 seconds...clog up a toilet, hurt each other, break a window, stick something in an electrical outlet, climb over the kiddy gate, etc. Mine were artists :o)
The drawers in our kitchen base cabinets made a good ladder to get to the upper cabinets. My daughter found the "chocolate candy" in the medicine cabinet in an otherwise entirely empty house we were ready to move into...she thought it was good. It was Exlax :o) Delayed moving in for an hour or two whilst we got some stuff to make her vomit, see the family doctor. Within the past week, I think I've read about three toddlers drowning; parents were nearby but distracted for just a few minutes.
[snip]

Don't worry; I used to post to different, fairly nasty USENET groups all the time. I'm grateful for all the replies here. If a few people say, "Idiot! Don't worry about the toddlers getting the nuts off!!1!" I can handle it. :-)

It's not so much that we're not going to supervise them. In fact, right now that gate is going up upstairs, where they spend no time except sleeping. Rather, my concern right now is that while they don't seem close to climbing out of their cribs, who knows? So the scenario I'm worried about is them getting out at night and then tumbling down the stairs.
The thing about the nuts is just my own, parental paranoia.
In terms of toddlers doing damage, these are twins, and someone on a local multiples group list said her twins took their diapers off at night and smeared $4it on the walls.
[snip]
woger151 wrote:

They will get out of cribs :o) When my younger brother was 3-4 and grocery shopping was done by walking to the store, my mom had a harness with a leash for my bro'. Just a cotton vest-type thingy so she could carry groceries AND keep him out of the traffic. I got a similar thing when one of my toddlers would not stay in bed at night. It could fasten to the bed frame, allow him to turn and sit up without getting strangled. He could turn on his light, read a book if he wasn't inclined to go to sleep. One night when I went in to check on him, he had been very quiet and I expected him to be asleep. He was awake, greeted me with a big smile as I walked in and saw that he had opened up a seam on his feather pillow....feathers all over.

Parental paranoia is healthy ..

Parents tend to react when kids are noisy, but the time to worry is when they are too quiet :o) I remember a story told by Joyce Brothers, about the difference between boys and girls. A mother was bothered by her little boys running, jumping and yelling when they played. OTOH, the little girl was very quiet. One day, mother asked the little girl what she was doing, and the little girl answered sweetly, "Nothing, mommy." Nothing but decorating the walls of her room with mommy's best lipstick. BTDT :o)
If you ever hear a "funny noise", don't ignore it.
It's not so much that we're not going to supervise them. In fact, right now that gate is going up upstairs, where they spend no time except sleeping. Rather, my concern right now is that while they don't seem close to climbing out of their cribs, who knows? So the scenario I'm worried about is them getting out at night and then tumbling down the stairs.
The thing about the nuts is just my own, parental paranoia.
In terms of toddlers doing damage, these are twins, and someone on a local multiples group list said her twins took their diapers off at night and smeared $4it on the walls.
As a father of twins, I feel your pain. Mine are now ten and are just finishing up 4th grade, so it was not so long ago that they learned to climb out of the crib. Funny thing was is that after the first time my son took the tumble, he was a little reticent to do it a second time, my daughter followed the same pattern about a month later.
Twins are two babies for the price of three.
Mine were born in 2000, and my wife was dreading having twins, so they became known as the Y2kids.
--

Roger Shoaf

My wife used to be a nanny for a farming/farm market-running family that had twins, then 18 months later had another set of twins. 0 to 4 kids in 18 months.
The Dad worked from dawn (in the fields) until after dark (at the market). Mom took some time off to be home with the kids but needed some help/relieve for a few hours a day.
At one point one of the older boys learned to climb out of the crib and would wake them up in the middle of the night. A sheet of plywood over the crib nipped that problem in the bud! He cried for a couple of nights and then accepted his fate and began to sleep through the night. The plywood only lasted a couple of weeks and then was no longer needed.
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 09:14:48 -0700, RickH wrote:

I read 'tell' as 'chop', which seemed a little extreme ;-)