Loft conversion - reinforcing floor joists

Hi,

I'm planning of converting my loft into a bedroom. It's not going to be big, approx 5x4m in St.Helier type of terraced house. I'm not going to ask any specific questions so far, just few general ones:

- Has anyone done reinfocement of floor joists yourself? If so, any gotchas? I'm planning to run the steel planks (3in wide, 3-4 mm thick) along each beam (top and bottom). In addition to that, I'm going to joint adjacing beams every xx in. I believe that would make frame sound enough to support the floor and a tiny ammount of furniture that's going in there, but haven't thought through on how to reinfoce beams-to-wall fixing yet...

- Anyone got some good DIY links, or readings that would help?

Thanks, Rytis

Reply to
Rytis Sileika

SOP is to 'sister' floor joists of the correct size to the undersized lumber that is currently only holding up the ceiling. Not sure exactly what you are planning with steel planks and blocking but it is probably not necessary. Check out these guys:

RayV