Locked out scenario

Page 3 of 4

Deadbolt.
Problem solved.
-Don (CAN'T lock hisself outta his house anymore!)
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

Well, they wouldn't have... until now...
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

people nationwide looking for abandoned pipes trying to unscrew caps.
one may gas them or shoot them with compressed gasses or water:)
clue hide your house key at the neighbors, they can do the same.
anyone finding the key wouldnt be able to get in:)

I hope the cap does not rust on the stub. ;-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

If one has a pipe wrench, it's just as easy to use it on the doorknob :/
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Easier still on a window...
--
Regards,
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 03:11:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

The favorite window is one on a slider or one next to the swimming pool. That one will be tempered and a spring loaded center punch will turn it into a bushel of corn, fairly quietly. No shards of glass to get cut on. If they are nervous they might break the window with a BB gun, wait a while to see if anyone noticed, then go in.

If you depend on a doorknob-based lock to secure your home,you are nuts. 1;easy to lock yourself out with one. 2;easy to use a pipe wrench on one.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I've seen garage doors that do, although not doors with openers.

Mark Lloyd

to turn the outside handle, but then the electric opener has a fit, because they aren't interconnected (usually they disable the manual lock, but this install was a DIY by previous owner.) Yeah, in theory I could lock myself out. I have a BIG back yard- I probably oughta stash a rust-proof key out there somewhere, in one of the nooks and crannies in the shed or something. But since I always arrive by car, the same keyring that started the car has a house key on it. And nobody else ever drives me home....
aem sends...
snipped-for-privacy@abuse.gov says...

Windows are even easier. Why put an expensive lock right next to a window? The fact is that door locks only keep the neighbor kids out.
--
Keith

Funny one day I fpound the neighbors kids running thru our home, they came in thru the doggie door:(
I wasnt mad but sent them home telling them to ask mom and dad why this was a bad idea...
the parents called I was just concerned for their safety, with 4 dogs they could do little damage here

Not all doors have windows adjacent to them.Or have windows IN them.
Now,newer,fancy homes do have windows right next to the door,very unwise for security.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Seems pretty common.

Sure, but it is a reality. The fact is that door locks do nearly nothing. Windows are far easier entry points than even cheap locksets.
--
Keith

A good multi-pane window may well be tougher than the wall it's in.
Anthona wrote:

heh, nope.
i am not sure the locks work on my doors. never used them.

Chances are its not a dead-bolt, in which case the lock can probably be defeated with a credit card.
To avoid this scenario DON'T hide your key outdoors or buy a fake rock - these are not secure options - someone could see you accessing your hiding place or rock, or a squirrel could steal your shiny keys. Buy a combination-lock keybox, just like realtors use. Think about it! Keyboxes lock securely to a door handle where they remain out of the way and ready to come to the rescue should you ever be locked out. Any hardware store sells 'em. Secret spot for your key - humbug! Spend $25 on a keybox with a 4 digit combo. (You can change the combo as often as you like. Don't use your house address for the combo!) If you don't want to lose your house key from your pants pocket at work, keep it in a keybox on your front door handle. Having said this, I can tell you that a keybox is no match for a sledgehammer and a concrete surface - I busted one open in one blow, no problem (but I was lucky to keep the contents intact!) If a keybox box is locked to your door handle, it'd be easier for a highly determined and brazen criminal to use a sledgehammer on your front door lock itself. But mostly only the police do that sort of thing. How's that for reassurance?
Anthona wrote:

Or put a key on the collar of your crazy huge dog, but make it a fake key to a fake door on your neighbor's house, which is full of fake neighbors that are actually crazy huge dogs with snakes on their collars(some can have fake snakes) and then just unload at the whole mess of 'em, dude.
Whoever suggested booby trapping something with explosives is a foolish, childish, inhumane and uncivilized vigilante dipshit. "Sorry, son, I meant to gore the hands and face of some other drug-addicted thief. How're those painkillers treating you now?" Deadbolt and keybox. There is little more to discuss, if one wishes to discuss reasonable solutions.