Locked out scenario

Page 1 of 4

I was visiting my niece for thanksgiving day and today ( friday ) a woman across the street had locked herself out of her home. She came across to us to ask for help. She had no backup key around the area, her son was working for the day, and obviously could not get into her home. We suggested that she call a locksmith, but for some reason she hesitated..probably the cost..I told her she should have a secret spot for a backkup key in the event like this would happen. All windows were shut, garage door remote she had, but there is no access to the house through the garage. Has anyone faced this problem and somehow managed to get into your home without the benefit of calling a locksmith? She finally had to call her son and he worked about 30 miles from home and came back to solve the situation. But what if a locksmith was not available for one reason or another..holiday or just closed.

First. verify that it's really her house.
Then break a basement window.
Anthona wrote:

I have come in basement windows a couple of times. They are usually the easiest way in. Of course you can break a window, or if you are really good, pick a lock . It might take me many hours to pick a lock, my father (a locksmith) could do it is seconds.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Anthona wrote:

Its probably way out of date as an idea , but when I was a kid , a trusted friend nearby had a spare key. If we got locked out we just went to see them and got the key.
This was in a time where most Moms stayed home.
I dont like hidden keys , they are usually too easy for a thief to find.

Combination lock on the door? I haven't had a house key since the late 60s when I saw my first Simplex lock. My kid never had a key
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Putty knife will usually pop open the latch on a double hung window. BTDT...
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Our previous house had a fenced yard, where we let the family dog (a large and "protective" Australian Shepherd) run loose whenever we were away.
The spare key was on his collar.

That reminds me of the rough neihborhood I used to live in. There was a very small-statured woman, under 5 ft tall, who sometimes walked her great dane on my block. Instead of carrying her purse on her own shoulder, she put the purse straps around the dog's neck.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - snipped-for-privacy@charm.net
Doug Miller wrote:

That's how we have always done it!
Rob
Brilliant!
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

How so? Shoot the dog, now you're in!

It is a lot easier and quieter to simply break a window. It always amazes me when people put extrordinary protection on the doors and ignore the windows.

they're willing to break a window.
And that all assumes that whoever's robbing your house reads the newsgroup where you're bragging how you secure it.

Shooting guns in residential areas draws a lot of attention. Also,one shot does not always put down a dog on the spot.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Doug Miller wrote:

THATS GREAT!
I have an electronic push button lock connected to the garage door (uses four digit code), good when I am doing yard work etc and need to get into the garage without going into the house first. As long as you have ac power, you can get in. I believe I bought it about 15 years ago at Sears for $29, also have a buried (in a jar) hidden key just in case.

First,how do you KNOW she actually lives there? I'd be wary of helping a stranger asking for help breaking into "their" house.
You could keep a key hidden in a garden shed locked by a combination lock. A man could keep a spare key in his wallet. A woman could keep one on a neck chain.
Also,if you only use a DEADBOLT lock that must be locked using a key,then you don't get locked out. Using doorlocks that latch behind you without any key leads to lockouts. Deadbolts are better security anyways.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I've had the problem a couple of times over the years. There are safe places where a key can be hidden outside. I don't mean those stupid fake rocks though. They can be out of site in a shed, under a deck, behind a shutter, under a fence post cap, on a tree, birdhouse, etc. In her case, it could have been in the locked garage since she had an opener. You just have to use a little ingenuity.

The more unusual, the more secure. This is one of those situations where the LEAST popular place is better.

Mark Lloyd
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:37:53 -0600, Mark Lloyd

Although the fake rock is an excellent place to hide an exploding dye pack...