Lock Sock?

Or whatever its name might be...

I'm looking for something to protect an ordinary padlock from the elements (rain, snow, foraging beavers, whatever).

I'm locking up the circuit breaker boxes, A/C cut-outs, fence gates, and other stuff.

Your experience and suggestions most welcome.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:3_udndMfG9806LzMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Use aluminum foil wrapped around locks until you find the real thing.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

To hold the lock upside down after you slip a sandwich bag over it. You might want a way for condensation to escape.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

For what it's worth, I've been using a Master combination lock on my shed for many years now here in southeastern Michigan. The weather changes on a dime and it's been exposed to every turn. The damn thing has yet to rust or malfunction in any way and still spins freely. I think I sprayed the thing once, several years ago, with lubricant, just as a precautionary measure. Whether it's the lock itself or the help of lubricant, that's one tough lock.

Reply to
Meanie

I've used Master Locks that had a vinyl boot and seal built on at the factory, weather resistant locks which had a spring loaded shutter that covered the keyhole and brass locks. I've never had a problem with them. You may be able to coat your standard lock with Plasti Dip and similar products made for coating tool handles. I've used it to coat stainless steel braid covered gas lines on restaurant equipment to seal out grease and the stuff held up very well. I imagine you could dip a lock in the stuff and when it drys, cut a slit for the key. Perhaps a dab of light grease to keep the coating out of the key way or a small piece of plastic tape. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

If you're after something that will fit any 1 3/4 inch wide padlock with a 1/4 inch shackle, Master Lock makes the 401D, shown here:

[image:

'MASTER LOCK Weather tough Lock Cover 401-D - The College Toolbox'

It's basically a rubber "sock" that slips over the bottom of the lock to cover the key hole, and two rubber "sleeves" that slide over the shackle to keep water from getting in the other end.

I've used it on locks I used outdoors for my extension ladder, and it seems to work fine. However, you might be better off to buy a weather proof lock that's made specifically for use outdoors, like the Master

911:

[image:

It has a weather proof top cover and a cap on the bottom that covers the key hole.

Any hardware store should sell weather proof locks. If you can't find one, then go to any marina. People who own boats have to lock them up, and those locks are exposed to the elements.

Reply to
nestork

"HeyBub" wrote in news:3_udndMfG9806LzMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

How small are the locks? If they are very small, you might try one of your condoms. Un-used of course.

Reply to
MurphyM

I'm thinking the whole condensation thing is why covering it up with aluminum foil or a baggie might be a bad idea. Especially where it's subject to freezing.

Reply to
trader4

Exactly, then buy quality padlocks.

Reply to
George

Per Meanie:

The shop where I windsurf has been using a Master keyed lock for some years without problems. It's one of the ones with a little flip-over cover for the keyway - but nobody seems to use it.

No lube, no nothing, and it's less than 50 feet from the edge of salt water bay.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

My experience is that when my locks freeze I heat them with a propane torch until they steam. Then I can unlock them with no problem.

The last time I used my trailer I had to heat up the lock. When I parked it this time, which might be for weeks, I soaked the lock with WD-40 and then wrapped a plastic grocery bag around it and tied it off.

I'll follow this thread. I'm looking for a long term solution myself.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Propane is good. Mapp doesn't work when the tank is cold. I've also had to heat up locks, when they freeze. I've had locks rust shut, the padlocks that hold the ladder on top of my work van. I've taken to opening them and oil them generously in the spring and fall.

.

My experience is that when my locks freeze I heat them with a propane torch until they steam. Then I can unlock them with no problem.

The last time I used my trailer I had to heat up the lock. When I parked it this time, which might be for weeks, I soaked the lock with WD-40 and then wrapped a plastic grocery bag around it and tied it off.

I'll follow this thread. I'm looking for a long term solution myself.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Given the choice of a propane torch with a self igniter vs. a roll of TP and matches/a lighter, I'll take the propane. If it's nasty weather I'm going to be able to light my torch and heat the lock under just about any condition.

It was snowin' and blowin' when my trailer lock was frozen and it took less than 30 seconds to thaw it open. Heat, try, heat, try, done.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Bic lighter on the key. Insert. Open.

Reply to
Thomas

master makes a lock with a rubber enclosure that is typically used on trailers or to lock the spare to the undersides of vehicles. i've used one on my spare for 20 years now, and it works fine.

Reply to
chaniarts