Lock cylinder spins around

I have a Medeco lock on my front door to my house and when you put the key into the lock the cylinder just spins around. In fact you spin the cylinder enough it comes out of the whole door. I had a guy come out to take a look at it, he said it needed a screw and wanted $140 to fix it, after $30 to come up here, I told him to leave. I know this is an easy fix, but I don't know how to do it, anyone have experience with this stuff? Thanks.
I don't know Medeco locks. It sounds like a mortise type lock. Remove the scalp plate on the edge of the door - 2 VERY small screws, be very careful as you remove them. Remove the scalp plate. There will probably be 2 screw heads side by side exposed that would be dead center of the cylinder. There is a groove cut in the side of the cylinder that the screw closest to the outside engages. The other screw is for a door that has the cylinder on the other side of the door. If the screw you need to use is missing, just steal the other one. Put a key part way into the cylinder so you can turn it back and forth, start to tighten the outside screw as you wiggle the cylinder until you feel the groove, and tighten the screw. Put it back together and pray you didn't lose one of those scalp plate screws. The cylinder's groove is positioned so the teeth on the key will be in the up position.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

It was just one screw and I got it. Much thanks.

Where did you find that guy? I have been a locksmith since Jimmy Carter was in office and I can't imagine any reputable locksmith attempting to charge $140 to snug down a loose screw.
--
Roger Shoaf
That, after a $30 house call fee. Something sounds wrong.

It was really $1 to tighten the screw, and $139 to know which screw to tighten.
That's cliche'd, the old one about the steam locomotive, of course. But it's true. I do that in my business, so many times. It's something simple. I know how to fix it, but others do not.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus