Locating Invisible Fence

I have a need to locate my buried Invisible Fence wiring at several locations prior to digging. I have been considering getting a metal detector for other reasons, on eBay. Will a metal detector work for locating this wire? If so, will the cheaper ones do the job?
Bob Bonneville wrote:

I have used a portable AM radio successfully. Start near the transmitter and tune across the band to find the frequency that picks the buzz up the best. You can then use it like a detector, listening for the buzz emitted from the wire when the transmitter is on.
Thad

That's funny but really practical and hands-free too. Mark the locations as you go along.

He'll mark the location each time it makes him piss.

A good idea always has unexpected benefits. He gets to make good use of his free hands.
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:56:09 -0700, "SteveB"

When you are drilling in areas with other wells you are bound to hit a few by chance even if your method is throwing darts. He was only "used" because he was the guy in charge, not cuz anyone thought it worked but him.

Yes, even a cheap metal detector will work. But there is a better way.
Get a portable AM radio. Tune it to the bottom end of the scale, and turn the volume all the way up. Walk along where you believe the wire to be, swinging the radio from side to side a few inches above the ground. When it's over the wire, you'll hear a rythmic "bomp...bomp...bomp..." in the static.
This also works to locate breaks in the fence: when the noise stops, you found the break.
--
Regards,

Funny, but not practical - the collar emits a warning tone when it's within about 3 to 6 feet of the wire, so you can't locate the wire with any degree of precision that way.
--
Regards,