Locating centerline

How can I locate the center-line on one of the flat sides of an oblong piece of wood?

Reply to
gary

Assuming the side is a rectangle, draw diagonals (lines from alternate corners); the point of intersection will be the center of the side.

There are several ways to extend it to the length of the side--using a compass to "bisect an angle" comes to mind.

I imagine that construction is explained in more than one place on the web.

Bill

Reply to
gary

Depends on how important the exact center is-- If 'close enough' is close enough then take your ruler and find the longest axis through the oval. draw a line. Go roughly 90 degrees from that one and find the 'long spot' - draw another line. X marks the center.

If you need to be exact then- (x - a)2/p2 + (y - b)2/q2 = 1 [I have no idea what that means- it is a copy/paste from

but it looks like it might work.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

piece of wood?

That's too easy, I like the formula better.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Balance the board on a thin straight-edge.

Reply to
HeyBub

I guess that depends on your definition of center-line. Your method would find (the line through) the center of gravity, which may or may not be the same as the mid-point of a side.

Reply to
krw

Draw lines from each corner to the opposite diagonal corner. The intersection is the center both ways.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Draw lines from each corner to the opposite diagonal corner. The intersection is the center both ways.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

piece of wood?

Where are the corners on an oblong piece of wood?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

At the intersections of the edges?

Reply to
Moe Gasser

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 20:37:24 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote in Re Re: Locating centerline:

An oblong shape does not have "corners". An oblong shape is a rectangle with the corners replaced by curves.

Reply to
CRNG

g piece of wood?

Huh?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Define "oblong".

Reply to
krw

That's not a definition of "oblong" I've encountered.

(blông, -lng) adj.

  1. Deviating from a square, circular, or spherical form by being elongated in one direction.
  2. Having the shape of or resembling a rectangle or an ellipse.
  3. Botany Having a somewhat elongated form with approximately parallel sides: an oblong leaf. n. An object or figure, such as a rectangle, with an elongated shape.
Reply to
krw

I'm not Moe, but "oblong" always meant a rectangle (with four corners) when I was very young; it was only later that I saw it referred to as an elongated form of a base shape. I think some of the posters are assuming the OP meant an oval (although they make mention of a flat side, so maybe not?) and others are assuming a rectangle...

Reply to
Jules Richardson