localized swarm of flies in garage

I live in Northern California, for years, I've had a locallized swarm of flies in my garage that are only around in the daytime hours, near a conventional-sized door that leads into my backyard (I keep this door open for various reasons - laundry access etc.). In the evening and night they disapear. The garage is extremely clean. I have no idea what is attracting them, especially when they leave when its no longer light out. I tried fly paper, which doesn't work. Wondering if anyone else has some constructive ideas Thanks
I'm cross-reposting this to alt.home.repair, where it will be seen by many more people that the original groups it was posted to (alt.consumers.pest-control, misc.consumers.house).
(I for one have no suggestions for the control or eradication of these flies)
techman41973 wrote:

I've used a ShopVac to remove ground wasps; perhaps you could vacuum them up.
The first thing I'd do, though, is wait until dark and close the door. Next morning, all the files will be on one side of the door; that will tell you if the source is in your garage or your back yard. I suspect it's your back yard. If you can locate where they're breeding, you can spray them (or remove what they're breeding in).
Gary

AK-47 or other assault weapon.
Just try not to shoot where there are electical cables. I once met a guy who would get drunk, then lay in bed with a shotgun and shoot flies on the ceiling. Then one day he shot thru a BX cable, blew out half the house. His landlord hired me to fix the electrical problem. Well, I fixed the wiring, but the landlord had to get someone else to fix all the holes in the roof. His bullets went thru the plaster ceiling, and continued right thru the attic and the roof. There were hundreds of holes in the ceiling. I imagine the roof was the same way.
But in your case, it's just a garage, so fire away. (except by the wiring).